[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark in the Last Decade

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark in the Last Decade

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm going to do something like this for the other major parks. This is a basic look back at the park over the decade and how it handled.

2000-2009 proved to be Hersheypark's most successful decade in the park's 100+ year history.

2000- Lightning Racer which today is still the world's only racing, dueling coaster, but that will change in 2010. A park in Europe is getting something similar.

2001-

2002- Roller Soaker opens

2003- Pioneer Frontier gets renovated a little with the addition of Frontier Flyers and The Claw. Unfortunately Cyclops and Conestoga had to be removed. Both have found new homes.

2004- The Balloon Flite and Starship America have been put in storage and Storm Runner, the world's first hydrollically launched coaster with inversions, opens. The ride changed the face of Pioneer Frontier.

2005- Terbulance was proposed to be opened with the renovation of Carrousel Circle, but after the company raised the ride's price, Starship America and Balloon Flite made their return. The Giant Wheel was removed as well. Chaos is removed as well and it's location is unknown today.

2006- Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge opens as the park's first dark ride since Golden Nugget and is a big hit with the families. Meanwhile, work starts on the park's big addition in history for their 100th season.

2007- 100 Years of Happy is the slogan of the year when the park opens The Boardwalk at Hersheypark. The area features 5 new attractions including the world's largest play structure, mini wave pool, sandcastle play area, slide complex, and a new midway. Banners are placed around the park, new shows are added and fireworks on every Saturday. Towards the end of the season, the park releases their Nantimi virtual game to secretly announce their 11th coaster, Fahrenheit. It is proved to be very successful.

2008- Western Chute Out is removed to make way for Fahrenheit, a 121ft tall coaster with 6 inversions and a 97 degree drop. Howler opens on the site of Conestoge and the Virtual 3D ride. Canyon River Rapids and Rodeo close at the end of the season to start work on the Boardwalk Seaquel.

2009- Hersheypark rounds out it's 3-year building spree with a new wave pool and lazy river called The Shore and Intercoastal Waterway.

Let's look ahead to what to expect for 2010:
    2010- It is understandable to take a break after building 3 major attractions and for this year it seems like minor improvements will be made around the park and possibly a new show venue.

In Review it seems like this decade proved to be Hersheypark's most successful decade to date. Several major additions have been made and even though one or two famous rides were removed, the park smartly placed attractions to make up for them. The next decade might prove to be just as successful with the rumor of expanding into the nearby golf course. Will it happen? We'll see...
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Re: Hersheypark in the Last Decade

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:18 pm

A few things that you either made mistakes on or forgot to point out:

-2000: Springtime in the Park debuts as the park's "official" spring preview to the summer season, originally beginning as a free admission, pay-as-you-ride format. The park is only open up to the Conestoga and Rodeo rides with Midway being closed off. HP in the Dark expands into Music Box and Pioneer Frontier (Halloween version of STITP).

-2001: Nightlights laser show debuts in the area that is now Coastline Plunge and East Coast Waterworks. Halloween and Christmas versions of the show also debut.

-2002: HERCO purchases Dutch Wonderland and its assets from the Clark family. Candylane expands into Comet Hollow and the Kissing Tower, Turnpike (antiques), Wave Swinger and Tilt-A-Whirl (first time since 1994) all are open for the first time.

-2003: Earthmovers and Wells Cargo are removed and sent to Dutch Wonderland. Starship America is removed and put into storage. Mini Pirate and Mini Scrambler debut. Livery Stables is re-located to its present spot. Virtual Theatre is opened. Music Box Theatre is totally rebuilt from the ground up. HP in the Dark opens Midway for the first time (without Wildcat). Kissmas Tree and Hershey Sweetlights debut.

-2004: Nightlights makes has final show. Basically everything remains in tact during 2005 and is removed at the end of the season. The Halloween and Christmas versions of the show never were shown this year. Dry Gulch RR and Wildcat are opened for HP in the Dark making every ride now available, except the water rides.

-2005: Roller Soaker and Trailblazer are re-painted to their current color schemes.

-2006: For the first time, all seasonal events (STITP, HP in the Dark, and CCL) are now one-priced admission.

-2007: Park changes its logo for the first time since 1995 to commemorate its centennial season. Logo is modified to the current version for 2008 season. Virtual Theatre is closed at the end of the season (you did mention on it being replaced by Howler, so I won't go there Wink ).

--------------------------------

The new decade:

-Where did you hear about a new show venue? All I heard was the possible renovation of Trailblazer's station, as well as modified queues for the tower and turnpike. I can't remember where I missed this one.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:19 pm

The shows page on their site says "check back soon for the shows list". Same thing for the concert series and strolling bands.

I don't think I want to do the same thing like this for Kennywood and Dorney. I plan on working on my K'nex coaster this afternoon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 pm