[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Off-season update for 2/7/10 - Choc-Covered Feb

HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Off-season update for 2/7/10 - Choc-Covered Feb

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:00 am

I was up at Hershey today. Beautiful weather and the snow led for some wonderful pics! Have lots to upload, so I'll try to get a bunch of pics on here sometime this week. Until the pics arrive, here's a small update:

-There was a crane by Storm Runner's top hat, I don't know what this was all about. Perhaps this is the season that the thing finally gets repainted. Perhaps they can afford to do so without any new rides being installed.

-Trailblazer looked quiet. The station seemed to remain untouched. Whether those rumors are true about the rebuild, I would think if it were to happen that it would have already started.

-Tower Plaza also appeared quiet. No construction on the turnpike or Kissing Tower's queues, like the rumors originally stated.

-There is a metal frame outside of Factory Works over at Chocolate World for the building expansion to house the "Build your own Chocolate Bar" attraction.

Other than that, nothing else seemed new. The park looked beautiful with all the fresh snow and I was able to get some great pics! Like I said, look for them sometime this week. Wink
    hpinsane
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Re: Off-season update for 2/7/10 - Choc-Covered Feb

Post  hpinsane on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 am

From what I've heard, a lot of the plans they were going to put into motion have been pushed off. I'm not sure why, other than they're just putting money in the bank rather than spending it. I've heard that as far as Trailblazer, they might touch up the flooring in the station, and that's about it.

But at this point, I would be surprised if anything gets done.

The other thing I've heard is that Derry Township took part of the ride area for the Twin Turnpike through eminent domain. If this is true, I would imagine that this would be on the meeting notes for Derry Township at some point in recent months. The purpose of taking the land is to straighten out 743 which runs along side the Twin Turnpike, but I'm not sure how much is being taken if it's true. I would logically think that it would be pretty substantial, from the way it would appear to straighten out the "s" going into the curve crossing the railroad tracks.
    hpinsane

Post  hpinsane on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am

In regards to the eminent domain, here's a few pictures. The first is what the road looks like.

In this second picture, the black line represents where the road would go if it were to go straight. It would cut very close to the Kissing Tower, practically on top of the ride. There's no way putting the road there would work, and it would claim most of the Twin Turnpike. That leads me to the third picture, which I think is the most likely result (should this be true and actually happening.)

As you can see below, placing the road there preserves a lot of land for the park, but it does disrupt the Twin Turnpike, splitting that "ride area" into two.
    hpinsane

Post  hpinsane on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:20 am

So I did some looking around and I found this map for the Hershey downtown realignment project. This would indicate that any eminent domain claims would be false.

Link: (PDF) http://www.hrgprojects.com/derrytownship/maps/743-422.pdf

Rather than straightening out the curve that goes around the Twin Turnpike and Kissing Tower, this would eliminate the curve going into Hershey, going through the Zoo America parking lot. That would open room between where the road currently sits, and where it will move to, to expand the Twin Turnpike, rather than shrink it or eliminate it completely.
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 am

^Wow nice find! I really don't think they would knock out a ride in their second biggest money maker to make the road a little straighter. Taking out a section of a parking lot seems much more logical.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Nice find indeed! I would think that would be a better situation and handle the traffic alot better through town.

Now onto the pictures from Sunday. These are just a handful of the over two-hundred pics I have from the entire day. So let's get started:

Let's start off over at Chocolate World:

Now onto some ride pics:

Not sure how long this was here, but as you come off the ride and up the stairs, you are now greeted by this nice display about the Hershey Company. This is different than the display on the left as you approach the on-ride photo booth.

The retail areas.

Last edited by HPCrazy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 pm

More Chocolate World pix:

The Reese's #29 showcar (driven by Kevin Harvick) is currently on display at Chocolate World.

Onto the Hersheypark Chocolate Parade. This annual Chocolate-Covered February event steps off inside Chocolate World every Saturday and Sunday at 2:30 pm and features a band and all the characters you can imagine:

The band plays a wide variety of chocolate and candy-themed tunes.

Several parade cast members dressed in festive garb hold brilliant colored banners with various park photos on them.

Mr. Hershey Bar and Reese's.

A first for Alex and I - a photo op with both Mr Hershey Bar and Reese's.

As Alex and the Rolo character say - <<<Peace!>>>

Mr. Kit-Kat

The Hershey's Kiss

I thought this was absolutely adorable!

Mr. PayDay

We leave Chocolate World with this view of their famous sign.

Next up, we're heading over to the park for some beautiful snow and winter off-season pics, all coming up!

Last edited by HPCrazy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 pm

This was the first time I ever saw the park covered this much in snow. Along with the blue skies, this made for some really beautiful pics.

Welcome to Hersheypark. Please be advised that we are covered in snow today and that all rides will not be operating, but we'll definitely do our best to accomodate you with many shops, eateries and indoor entertainment.

This goes to show why the rides are closed.

Mr. Hershey Bar and Reese's must not mind the snow. They seemed to have braved out the foot or two that's already on the ground.

Looking across the parking lot at, what else, snow!

The old pool complex.

Hersheypark Stadium in the snow.

The old Hershey Museum, and Hersheypark Arena. Even though the old museum is no longer there, the building itself looked absolutely gorgeous in the snow.

Next up, see some coasters in the snow.....
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:41 pm

The last part of this update features the best for last - roller coasters in the snow!

The Kissing Tower

I'm wondering if Storm Runner will receive its much-needed paint job this season. If you look closely, there is a crane under the top hat. Not sure what this is all about.

Fahrenheit during its winter hibernation.

The Comet and the snow - white and white!

Great Bear - still one of my favorites.

Roller Soaker

Lightning Racer

Wildcat from a distance.

Midway America and various park attractions from a distance, all covered in snow.

And I leave you with a few pictures from my first visit ever to the Hotel Hershey as well as a park overview in the snow from the hill:

See you in the spring! Smile
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks a ton for all these pictures! It's nice to get these during the off season. And your right the park does look pretty great in the snow! I can't say how much I appreciate these pictures and the site, can't wait untill spring!
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Very nice photos! I like to see the park, especially when it's covered in snow. Like said, can't wait until spring!
    hpinsane

Post  hpinsane on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Great pictures! I like them all!

Springtime isn't too far away... just 5 more weeks!

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks for the great pictures. I've never visited Chocolate World during an off-season time, so I'm amazed by how few people are there. I've always seen it packed with crowds.

Back to the relocation of Route 743 for a moment. Nobody has mentioned something I noticed on the site plan. More importantly than straightening out the sharp narrow bend in the road near the park, this project will make a direct connection across Chocolate Avenue so that continuing on 743 will not require traveling a short distance on Chocolate Ave. That should ease traffic flow in the long term.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 pm