Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Coast
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Re: Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Post  Coast on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:02 pm

2012 wrote:Are you hoping we get an intimidator 305 type ride, if so that would be a bad decision seeing as that ride burns through wheels like its it's job and in 5 years will be a maintenance nightmare
    No, I don't think we're getting something THAT massive, but I was just using the example of a large coaster starting "late".
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Ok i was just making sure.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I know that Fahrenheit's footers weren't even poured until late 2007/early 2008 and ground prepping in October sometime (when the slides began coming down). Anything can happen but I still highly doubt that they will let next season go by without anything new, even if they do put in a new flat or two somewhere.

By the way, I never expect to see a 300-footer at HP at any time in the forseeable future. Something that size would be too large for Hershey's standards I would assume.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Some updates from July 28th:

White survey markings that have been reported previously

Pink markings in Comet's outer queue

Pink markings in Comet's queue right next to the station wall

Pink stake has been placed by Comet's load station

Pink stake has appeared inside of Comet's exit path

Overview of the same stake

Overview of the anticipated construction site
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Interesting. Thanks Matt and welcome to the site.

The stake seems interesting, but I have to wonder about the servey markings. If those were sprayed on with spray paint, does that mean that they'd have to take the pavement out or take a pressure washer? I'm asking this because I wonder if the Comet could be getting something done to it?
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:20 pm

I noticed that some of the white survey markings are already fading from foot traffic.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Does anyone know what the pink markings mean?

All I can say is I have a bad feeling about Comets future.

Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:23 pm

there is no way they would take out the comet, no way.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I do agree and Sidewinder would be on the axe with it as well. Comet and, unfortunately, Sidewinder aren't going anywhere. I'd bet we'd see SDL removed before those two even though I don't think that ride's leaving any time soon.

Welcome to the site CoasterBGW. Haven't talked to you in awhile. Glad you came to help contribute.

These markings are really getting interesting. More and More are showing up and are there than when I visited back in June. What are those stakes for? I highly doubt they have to do with retooling Comet for this future ride. I'm sure they're for somekind of support structure for a coaster I would assume.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm

From what I have seen, I believe that stakes are for support footers and Comet is in no danger. My theory is that a new roller coaster will run to the park side of Comet's out and back due to the numerous stakes and then continue to the Comet midway crossing over the comet station. The stakes appear to be carefully placed as to not interfere with Comets track, only intertwine with it. I believe that the ride will extend to the park entrance, with the new ride's entrance located in Rhineland.

While riding Comet, I thought I saw some stakes on the opposite side of the creek, but I can't say with 100% confidence that they were there. There appeared to be some tree trimming occurring in that area, however, it did not appear to be on a large enough scale to be significant.

Thank you for the welcome everyone! Sadly I am moving to Wisconsin in a few days so I will not be able to get anymore pictures for a long while (next summer), but I hope to stay active in the speculation and discussion. Smile
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 pm

We're just glad you're here (speaking for everyone who has been at C-net or any other park site you're posting currently)! What's up with the move to Wisconsin? Is your whole family moving out there or something? Too bad you can't be around (in the PA area) in October, I'm hoping we'll see our first official site meet-up then.

From reading your post, it seems like this could be another Great Bear/SDL and SR/Trailblazer situation. The park is superb at intertwining rides to save room. We'll see how this unfolds. Definitely alot more markers and findings since I was there back in June.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 pm

CoasterBGW wrote:From what I have seen, I believe that stakes are for support footers and Comet is in no danger. My theory is that a new roller coaster will run to the park side of Comet's out and back due to the numerous stakes and then continue to the Comet midway crossing over the comet station. The stakes appear to be carefully placed as to not interfere with Comets track, only intertwine with it. I believe that the ride will extend to the park entrance, with the new ride's entrance located in Rhineland.

While riding Comet, I thought I saw some stakes on the opposite side of the creek, but I can't say with 100% confidence that they were there. There appeared to be some tree trimming occurring in that area, however, it did not appear to be on a large enough scale to be significant.

Thank you for the welcome everyone! Sadly I am moving to Wisconsin in a few days so I will not be able to get anymore pictures for a long while (next summer), but I hope to stay active in the speculation and discussion. Smile
    There's more than one stake? Ok, then I guess Comet will be safe. If this new coaster will intertwine with Comet and given how conjested the location is, my guess is a B&M Flying coaster. If so, then given the hilly location, maybe we could see something on the scale of Tatsu? As long as it's not like Superman Ultimate Flight at Great Adventure, then I'd be satisfied.

If the stakes are for coaster supports, then we could possibly be looking at a 2011 project.
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:06 am

A flyer would be awesome if it contained some intense elements but it's not innovative and Hershey has been big on innovation lately and that is why I can see a Mega Lite modified to intertwine with rides without being on an open piece of land.
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 am

I really wouldn't say that they have been inovative. It's more just gimicky. Like with Storm Runner they had launch coasters and inversions before HP just put them together.
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:47 pm

2012 wrote:A flyer would be awesome if it contained some intense elements but it's not innovative and Hershey has been big on innovation lately and that is why I can see a Mega Lite modified to intertwine with rides without being on an open piece of land.

me too

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  underslayer on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I was at hershey today and it definitly looks like they are starting to lay out the coaster supports. They have stakes everywhere. All behind the comet over across the creek from creekside catering all the way to where the comet crosses the creek. and it also looks like they started to lay out the station. the station starts where tiltawirl is all the way over past the bathroom over to a little shed in the restricted area. These stakes really look like supports because alot of them match up or line up. they had to be done this week so there should be more this week.all i can say is the station is gona be huge and so far this coaster looks huge as well
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Yeah I dont know why this is being deemed a 2-year project. They would not be doing all of this if it wasnt going to be built until 2012.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:18 pm

I am fairly confident this will be completed for the 2011 season. I would not be surprised to see land moving beginning by the end of September.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 pm

This is all beginning to sound more like a 2011 project. I'm guessing more stakes are being spotted since Matt's visit. Be interesting to see how it's turning out by next month. Why would they also be closing Comet down next month for re-profiling? The pieces of the puzzle are seem to be going together, it's clearly evident.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 pm

I just tossed this together quick and it connects a few of the markings I have a good sense of where they are located. They seem to perfect placement for supports, carefully stepping around Comet.

If you get rid of the midway games and the tilt-a-whirl you have a good location for a final brake run and station.
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:11 pm

So if this is true that the station will be at the tilt-a-whirl's location there will be 3 coaster stations in a compressed area. Hello crowds. And what do people believe that BGW's green line is, the return to brakes or the lift into a drop and turn.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 pm

The stakes seem similar to the ones found at Six Flags Magic Mountain before Tatsu was built.

I think it is now safe to say that we should be expecting a coaster in at least 2011.
    Coast
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Coast on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:12 am

underslayer wrote:I was at hershey today and it definitly looks like they are starting to lay out the coaster supports. They have stakes everywhere. All behind the comet over across the creek from creekside catering all the way to where the comet crosses the creek. and it also looks like they started to lay out the station. the station starts where tiltawirl is all the way over past the bathroom over to a little shed in the restricted area. These stakes really look like supports because alot of them match up or line up. they had to be done this week so there should be more this week.all i can say is the station is gona be huge and so far this coaster looks huge as well
    I was here tonight too, and I have the same thing to report. I will be grabbing pictures tomorrow as I only had my cell phone on me and the zoom is terrible. I saw multiple stakes in Comet's exit area as well as survery markers as far as by the bridge under Great Bear's immelman.

I did not see the station layouts you are reporting, but I will check it out tomorrow and of course grab pictures. Lots of exciting stuff going on!
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:14 am

It seems to be the white markings are the survey points and the pink markings are suggested to be support locations.
    hpinsane
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  hpinsane on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am

The coaster is for 2012, not 2011. And it's a mega not a mega-lite.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 am

And your reasoning is...?

2011 seems most logical based on what is currently happening. Support markers have been placed in the same manner as they were with Fahrenheit and Storm Runner. They are still schedule for completing the ride by the Spring based on their previous construction projects.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am

hpinsane wrote:The coaster is for 2012, not 2011. And it's a mega not a mega-lite.
    Whoever said it was going to be specifically from Intamin? It's not written in stone and it could still be from B&M. They also wouldn't be putting tons of stakes down and have them sit there for over a year.
    It's for 2011.

njcoast
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  njcoast on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Well maybe its a two year build Shocked
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 pm

There is absolutely no way that this is for 2012 when all of these stakes and markings are appearing right now. From various members on here, more and more of them are appearing. I strongly believe if this were a 2012 project, we would be seeing all of this happening around this exact same time next year. There is still a strong possibility that this will be a 2011 project, based on what everyone and myself have seen within the last two months. They aren't going to let stakes set up in these locations for the next year. I have yet to see a park begin surveying/building a major roller coaster this early in advance. Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster and Intimidator 305 weren't all being surveyed, marked up or under construction two years in advance, and those are much larger rides then what we'll probably be seeing here.

Perhaps maybe 2012 will be a quieter year if this turns out to be a large coaster.
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:55 pm

HPCrazy wrote:There is absolutely no way that this is for 2012 when all of these stakes and markings are appearing right now. From various members on here, more and more of them are appearing. I strongly believe if this were a 2012 project, we would be seeing all of this happening around this exact same time next year. There is still a strong possibility that this will be a 2011 project, based on what everyone and myself have seen within the last two months. They aren't going to let stakes set up in these locations for the next year. I have yet to see a park begin surveying/building a major roller coaster this early in advance. Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster and Intimidator 305 weren't all being surveyed, marked up or under construction two years in advance, and those are much larger rides then what we'll probably be seeing here.

Perhaps maybe 2012 will be a quieter year if this turns out to be a large coaster.

Thank you! Ive been trying to say this for a long time Smile They would never put stakes in 2 years in advance. Millennium Force was announcesd in June of 1999. So if this this isnt as big as Millennium(what coaster is) an August/September announcement would be very fitting. Also, if it isnt going to be going through many trees they dont need to do massive land clearing like Millennium and Int..305 needed.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Storm Runner was announced August 5th, 2003. Fahrenheit was announced sometime in the latter part of September of 2007, exactly when I was at Walt Disney World.

I'm surprised they would try to squeeze another station in Comet Hollow. Comet's station is right there and SDL's station isn't that far off from the proposed location either. If this is, indeed, where the station would be located, perhaps there will be a major re-profiling of Comet Hollow, along with Comet's queue in order to make all of this work.

Coast'n East just informed me on Facebook that there are also some stakes by SDL's helix. I'm beginning to wonder if this thing will wrap around Comet's turn-a-round there. Or this could possibly be an area that would require Comet to close down for structure re-profiling.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 pm

njcoast wrote:Well maybe its a two year build Shocked
    Only Flying Turns can be a 2 year build.... or 3..... or 4.... or 5 year build. tongue

The only cases where it would usually take more than one year to build a ride or attraction are if Disney would be building something or the park is not in the United States.

From now on, if anyone believes that this project is for 2012, then they would have to specifically post where their source comes from. It's starting to be annoying and if it keeps up, then I will issue temporary bans to those people. I have almost never done this, but there's always a first for everything.
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Does anyone know when storm runner started land clearing and/or track started to arrive? This coaster probably wont need as much land adjustment as SR so that is probably the reason even with the size of it they can keep it unannounced even with all the stakes and markings. I'm trying to figure out when we are going to get an official announcement. If it is a large coaster which it looks like it is right now I cant imagine them keeping it a secret too much longer.

Fahrenheit is extremely compact for the length of the ride and this looks a lot more spread out so it should be announced later than SR but earlier than Fahrenheit. Am I wrong? scratch
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Almost every coaster starts before the offseason before the season it opens. It wouldbe a massive undertaking if this was to open in '12. And we usually start getting hints by now.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Sounds like what's happening here. I mean it's quite obvious with all the stakes and markers that have been recently showing up and alot of this reminds me of when stakes and markers appeared in 2003 for Storm Runner.
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Even though I'm the biggest mega-lite fan here. A mega like Expedition Geforce would be amazing even though that takes up a huge area
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:30 pm

These are pictures from November 1st of Storm Runners construction:

At that point, there are about a dozen footers near the station. No other footers had been poured at that point and the area by trailblazer had not even been cleared yet.
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks CoasterBGW! Smile
    intaminfan08
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 pm

hpinsane wrote:The coaster is for 2012, not 2011. And it's a mega not a mega-lite.

I certainly hope so, I would love to see a mega coaster would be great for familys/ thrillseekers all Hershey really needs an iconic ride a bit bigger than storm runner. Also noticing on the facebook paige of hershey is this update: Hersheypark You've seen Hershey from the Kissing tower.....You've seen Hershey from the Storm runner......now get ready to see Hershey from .......July 28 at 8:38am
    could this be the first clue?
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Ccron10 wrote:Whoever said it was going to be specifically from Intamin? It's not written in stone and it could still be from B&M. They also wouldn't be putting tons of stakes down and have them sit there for over a year. It's for 2011.

Just wait and see... They could just be surveying the land. On a side note, do you think B&M would want to do another coaster for Hershey after the difficult installation they had with Great Bear? Just some food for thought.

^Look at their next post. "Now get ready to see Hershey from your own two feet!" It's about the Half Marathon coming up in October.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks for posting those pics Matt! Sort of gives you an idea of what's going on and what to expect down the road. By the way, what markings by Tilt-A-Whirl indicate a coaster station is going in around there? How new are these? I can't remember if I saw them or not when I was there back in June.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:34 pm

I have not seen them myself. When I was there on the 28th there was nothing of interest in that area, but a few days later a report came in of stakes in that area.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:39 pm

The Storm Runner wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote:Whoever said it was going to be specifically from Intamin? It's not written in stone and it could still be from B&M. They also wouldn't be putting tons of stakes down and have them sit there for over a year. It's for 2011.

Just wait and see... They could just be surveying the land. On a side note, do you think B&M would want to do another coaster for Hershey after the difficult installation they had with Great Bear? Just some food for thought.

^Look at their next post. "Now get ready to see Hershey from your own two feet!" It's about the Half Marathon coming up in October.
    Great Bear was Hershey's first B&M coaster and Storm Runner was built the same way. In a way, this coaster would be easier to design since they would only have to build above Comet and Looper and not go too high because of Great Bear at the beginning. Even for just serveying the land, the markings are still too early for a 2012 project. The markings are all like the ones that were used when Fahrenheit was being built making them not for just serveying the land, but for something to be built. These pics are from what Coast posted on his facebook page.
    I've met the engineer who designs the coasters for the park over a year ago and it wouldn't suprise me that he would try to do something like what he did to Breat Bear and Storm Runner all over again.
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
    I've met the engineer who designs the coasters for the park over a year ago and it wouldn't suprise me that he would try to do something like what he did to Breat Bear and Storm Runner all over again.

After meeting with him myself last week, I totally agree. Surprised
    intaminfan08
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:06 pm

We need some new pictures of the site, im waiting till things pick up a little to head down to HP for some pictures. Things seem to be picking up weekly and what all did this engineer say!? Im sure there will be some terrain elements going into this project looking back through hersheys history.
    GreatBearHP
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  GreatBearHP on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 pm

I still believe this will be an intamin because, a few years back i was at Kings Island in May for Memorial day weekend and the area for the station of Diamondback was already cleared and ready to be built, also on the train you could already see a lot of clearing for the layout of the ride, B&M starts construction months earlier than Intamin so my bet would be on Intamin at this point if this is a 2011 project.
    Coast
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Coast on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 am

HPCrazy wrote:
    Coast'n East just informed me on Facebook that there are also some stakes by SDL's helix. I'm beginning to wonder if this thing will wrap around Comet's turn-a-round there. Or this could possibly be an area that would require Comet to close down for structure re-profiling.

Hey! That's me! These stakes are not by the helix, that is where they are visible. The stakes are located on some sort of road along the creek across from Comet's first turn.

I was at Hershey today and saw markers that were already reported and in addition I saw new markers (pink and white) over by Tilt-a-Whirl and Comet's station as seen in the attached images. There was an orange dot marked with numbers next to it which was next to the food stand right beside Comet's entrance. I rode Sooperdooperlooper and was able to see what appeared to be stakes with orange flags lining a dirt/gravel path/road across the creek from Comet. I do not have a picture of these markers as park rules prohibit photography during the ride. The photos were taken with my cell phone as it was the only thing I had with me today.

Right along the fence where Comet is, to the left of Tilt a Whirl's exit.

This was ON the rocks that border/landscape Tilt a Whirl

This was next to the food stand right next to Comet's queue.

Interesting.
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:09 am

I can confirm that those marks were not there when I was there on the 28th.

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  underslayer on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:48 am

in coasterbgw 2 picture u can see a white dot with a white line on both sides of it. I believe they outline the station. there are a ton more infront of the tiltawirl and bathrooms. I think they mark the angles anf corners plus the pink markers start from that location and go back toward the commet station. i think they r the brake run. the lift will befrom the other side of the station and turn right and go along the creek and commets last turn around and go to creekside catering then turn and go over the creek and then from there who knows
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Well if the station is supposed to be large, I don't know how they'll be able to fit it next to Comet, even with Tilt-A-Whirl and those bathrooms gone. Comet Hollow will definitely be re-profiled out of all this, no doubt.

If Matt mentioned that some of those markers weren't there recently during his trip, then the park is really moving along with this project. Has anyone been able to spot any more tree clearing going on?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:40 am