Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Re: Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Post  underslayer on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

it looked like across the creek there was a little also the stakes over there were not only lined up but they were also 2 abreast prolly 4ft across
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:35 pm

underslayer wrote:it looked like across the creek there was a little also the stakes over there were not only lined up but they were also 2 abreast prolly 4ft across

I agree with this and I mentioned it in my initial report. I wasn't confident reporting it fully becuase I only had a couple quick views while on Comet and SooperDooperLooper. It is good to know that someone else saw them too.

Food for thought... intamin really seems to like those double supports:
    intaminfan08
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Stakes located on the road..who knows maybe this thing is crossing into the old golfcourse scratch
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:22 pm

intaminfan08 wrote:Stakes located on the road..who knows maybe this thing is crossing into the old golfcourse scratch
    Right now I have no clue what to think. Since most of these new stakes showed up right after I drove by the park last Tuesday, I have no clue.
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 am

Wasn't it about this time before FH that we started to get those scrambled pictures and funky codes?

njcoast
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  njcoast on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:49 am

Well like i said early on we would see markings across comets creek so i guess i was right. Any one see any marks along park or across Question

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  underslayer on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:19 pm

nope nothing over there yet justtdrove by there on my way to the shore

coasteral
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  coasteral on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:05 am

These new markers might be for 2011. we dont know Question The more marker updates I see the more I think thi8s might be for 2011. we shall see Smile
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 am

I have another update about the new coaster construction.

This steak is located along the fence of the Comet in the Tilt-A-Whirl line area. If you look closely it has the letters STA on it. It most likely means station. So the line markings around Tilt-A-Whirl is where the station will be for the new ride. This will obviously mean Tilt-A-Whirl will have to either be moved or removed.

A closer look.

More markings in between the Tilt-A-Whirl and the Hollow Games.

Overview of where the station will be next year.

The closest marking means the border of the station.

There was another marking behind the games .

A closer look. I cant read this one, it could just be numbers.

Here is another pink one behind the Nut Hut.
    By the way did we ever determine what the pink ones mean. Is it where the polls will be?

There is a big wooden fence starting to go up beside Comet, along the creek. Along where the train used to run. There are also some trees being cut down too. My guess here is that there will be a path next to the creek , or the new ride will go in this area too .
    This picture shows just an orange construction fence. You can only see what I mentoned above from the Comet.

Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

^Really interesting. In the last picture, I'm guessing that the wooden fence you're talking about is the one at the bottom of the picture?

From the way it seems, they could possibly be doing a detour path or even a brand new path to access Comet Hollow. I'm betting that they are doing this so that they can work on the path between Skyview and Comet. I don't think we will be walking on this path until October or November though.

The main point I'm getting out of this is why build a new fence in a area that guests can't really see? Rolling Eyes
    EDIT: I went into my RCT park version, took a picture of the area and tried marking where some of the stuff is.
    intaminfan08
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Very inresting thanks for the update, and also thanks for the RCT illustration. The more markings and construction I see the more confused I am getting about what this is going to be. I know nobody wants to hear that this could possibly be a 2012 project without some good proof but right now I don't have any but I am thinking a re model of the comet and new pathways could be phase 1 of a two year project but like others have said there is a lot going on right now for construction to be started so early for a 2 year project.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:27 pm

^^ The wooden fence you see in the last picture is just a fence that got in the way near Creekside Catering.
    In your RCT picture you got the area right.

Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 pm

So the fence we are talking about is the orange one wrapping around comet?
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Has anyone tried asking the employees? Sometimes they give you some really key info.
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:04 pm

My first post here contained info I gathered, but that kind of hear-say isn't considered credible here or at most other sites.
    intaminfan08
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah but the forums are for debating/talking about rumors and construction. I think a few rumors from employees will spark good debate on the forums after all its why were here, credible or not EVERYTHING is rumor right now and nobody has concrete info unless its coming right from the source-HersheyPark which has said NOTHING about the current construction..the debate over construction is half the fun, the other half will be riding the new attraction Very Happy
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

I completely agree, but a few pages back some people got a little upset over rumors that couldn't be backed up.
    intaminfan08
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Afterall the forum topic name is New coaster/RUMOR discussion, and feel free to share information you gathered as long as the site admins don't have a problem with it.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

intaminfan08 wrote:Afterall the forum topic name is New coaster/RUMOR discussion, and feel free to share information you gathered as long as the site admins don't have a problem with it.
    We don't have a problem with it; it's just the part where people say that "so and so" is going to happen and that I know it for sure, but they don't give any source or if they do, it's very weak.

Feel free to ask around, but take their info with a grain of salt (unless they all pretty much say the same thing).
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for the update Stormwinder! From the looks of things, again, this has to be a 2011 project and I'm about to state why I don't believe that this is for 2012. Like I said before, they wouldn't be placing any kinds of markings for a coaster in the ground this early, especially stakes. I can say that from what Matt has reported, some of those markings seem to have appeared since his visit.

Here is my take on all of this if it were definitely a 2012 project..... reprofiling the Comet would be the first step. No markers or stakes would be in the ground as of this time. Maybe marks on the Comet itself to help identify where the work needs to be done. No tree clearing would be taking place either, as Stormwinder just reported. Part two would have to be the actual stakes and markers (like we're seeing now). They would have to start appearing sometime during 2011 in order for this to open in 2012.

Now for possibly a new route to Comet Hollow. Perhaps, this ride is going to bring the people into that area that a new path would need to be accessible to help avoid bottlenecks? Can someone clarify this or name the source if they have received any near-correct info regarding this? Other than that, it could just be ground prep work for the coaster that's going to go through there.

Again, just stating my thoughts on why this has to be a 2011 project. There is too much evidence going on and I (along with other people here) am sick and tired of how some people come on here and say that 2012 is set in stone, and are unable to cite their source(s) or provide us of where they know that that information is, indeed, true. If you are unsure about your sources or what not, you're better off not unleashing the facts if you know they're not particularly true. Just trying to set the record straight......
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 pm

I think it will be a 2011 project as well. I don't see how the markings will sit there for another 2 years. Unless they're trying to get some use out of whatever might be removed, or maybe an ad campaign is still in the makes the 'something cooler' etc.. was for the Boardwalk.

coasteral

Post  coasteral on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I agree with you matt Very Happy
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  2012 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I hope that whatever it is, it steals some thunder from whatever bgt is building down there because it seems to be a good one.

ts4unc
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

zoning hearing board

Post  ts4unc on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 pm

The Zoning Hearing Board of the Township of Derry will hold a public hearing on
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010, and if necessary, Thursday, August 19, 2010, at 6:00
    P.M. in the Meeting Room of the Derry Township Municipal Building located at 600
    Clearwater Rd., Hershey, PA. Beginning at the scheduled hour, the Board will consider
    the following petitions
    Petition 2010-31 as filed by Hershey Entertainment and Resorts Company, regarding
    their property at 100 Hersheypark Dr., Hershey, PA in the Commercial Entertainment
    zoning district. The property is improved with an entertainment complex. Petitioner
    desires to construct a new feature identified as Attraction 2012. Relief is sought from,
    but not necessarily limited to, a special exception regarding maximum height, a special
    exception regarding minimum front yard areas, and a variance related to disturbing
    sensitive environmental areas as defined by the Zoning regulations. The property is
    identified on the Dauphin County tax maps as 24-009, parcel 009

Found on the derry township web page
    GreatBearHP
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  GreatBearHP on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Ironic that this might actually be for 2012. After reading the discription of the meeting, this might be one massive Attraction! Smile
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Good find and welcome to the site!
    http://www.derrytownship.org/images/stories/agendas/zoning/agenda-zhb.pdf
    Here's the agenda for the meeting (I couldn't click on the link on the homepage though).

So since this might be a 2012 project then, this is probably going to be BIG since I don't think I've seen a project start this early for any park outside of Disney.
    My bet is that this possible new path will be as a detour for next year for construction and since they'll be talking about height at the next meeting (something that doesn't come up as often for Hershey), maybe, just maybe we could get something like I305. Surprised
    EDIT: I think we can change the topic title then.

Last edited by Ccron10 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
    GreatBearHP
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  GreatBearHP on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Just without the burning wheels or grey-outs, please! Exclamation

EDIT: Welcome to the site!

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  underslayer on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 pm

the variance for the front yard and sensitive envirnment i thing meen they will go over the creek and maybe disturb it and the front yard thing means crossing over the two propertys and going into the golf course bcause most township state you cant build anything within 5feet from your probety line. so they would have to get a varence. this winter i see them building this new path and modifying the comet and maybe build the station then begin work pn the coaster in may. plus does anyone but me think they will turn this new path into the quere line for the new coaster. they said the station would be built in comet hollow but they didnt say anything bout the line being in there whichhwould make sence seeing how congestes that area is

sammax144
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  sammax144 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 am

I tried looking up quick the zoning in Derry Township, but anyone off hand know the height limits set on Hershey as it stands? This is going to have to be an amazing ride. Can't wait
    GreatBearHP
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  GreatBearHP on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 am

I believe the height limit is 300 feet.

njcoast
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  njcoast on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 am

Well like i said in my post yesterday that somehow disapeared we should see some major developments in the next two weeks.

njcoast
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  njcoast on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:47 am

Also the height meeting could be for a new drop tower like the one at KD thats over 300 FT
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:12 am

Yeah, I like when people have rumers I just don't like when the say they're set in stone. Also when people such as 2012 post things and I ask their source. I'm hoping and praying the sources are reliable.

And to anyone who was over at Coaster-net during Fahrenheit speculation, do you rember when someone posted that it would be a 121 Ft, Intamin with a couple unique elements. He only ever made one or two posts then he disapeared. He posted it at about this time of year to and we just blew off his rumor because we were hyped for a hyper coaster.

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:32 am

All the survey markings at this time of year indicate a 2011 project, but the zoning meeting suggests a 2012 project. Couldn't these be two different projects? I'm sure Hershey must have to get approvals well in advance of construction, and I doubt they would go two years without a major addition. Maybe the work around Comet is for 2011 and the height variance is for 2012.

sammax144
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  sammax144 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 am

Screamscape just posted that it needs the meeting for over 200 ft but can't go over 350 ft. So in the end drop tower would fit in that height, so would a great coaster. It better be two years of additions like the rumor started as. Or they know we do find the meeting things so they could of just named it 2012 to throw us off
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 am

If it is true that Comet will close in September, Hershey will have to make some king of announcement saying why. This may indicate which year the project will be for.

Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  intaminfan08 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Looks like I hit the nail on the head with my predictions..and I knew I had something going with that facebook post from Hershey. I would love to see a giga here it would make to be a world class attraction and would get A LOT of attention though I would be content with a hyper. This is all very exciting news and maybe we should watch the Hershey Facebook paige a little more closely.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:16 pm

gardener14 wrote:All the survey markings at this time of year indicate a 2011 project, but the zoning meeting suggests a 2012 project. Couldn't these be two different projects? I'm sure Hershey must have to get approvals well in advance of construction, and I doubt they would go two years without a major addition. Maybe the work around Comet is for 2011 and the height variance is for 2012.

gardener14 is correct. I can't see a 300-foot coaster coming to Hershey in the near future, even though I'd love to them get one. Isn't there a height restriction of some sort? Even if we get a 200-foot coaster, that would be "big stuff" to us considering what we already have. I just never heard of a coaster for any theme park (other than Disney) taking up two years of time to complete. If there is a structure around 300-ft, could it possibly be the rumored drop tower? That's been swirling around now for how long.

The only way that I can see that this could be a two-year project is what was mentioned here....they build a temporary path to Comet Hollow to allow for major construction to take place, then convert it into a queue line once this ride is built? One thing though....SDL Sandwich Stop is right there. Wouldn't major construction also have an effect on this, as well as the Whac-A-Mole game thingy?

I'm sure if Comet is, indeed, closing down for sure for re-profiling, that the park would have to mention what's going on. They can't keep this a secret forever.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:48 pm

The park does have a height restriction and it seems like they are going to the zoning board to be get permission to build something higher.
    As for the drop tower, S&S hasn't built one of those for years and doubt the park would add a used one even if it's the one from Miracle Strip which probably doesn't top 200 ft. The park isn't going to hire Intamin either after their incident at Kentucky Kingdom for their drop towers. Plus a drop tower doesn't take up a lot of room and wouldn't need to have footer's 1 1/2 years in advance and having them cover the whole Comet Hollow area and hillside nearby.
    Once the township can ok this project, then work would get officially started. It would make no sense closing down Comet to start modifications and then finding out that township sends them back to the drawing board.
    Don't forget that these township meetings are open to the public so if you guys do want to go to them, you're welcome to. Just be respectful while you're there. Wink
    gohershey
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  gohershey on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:00 pm

could it be coaster 2011 drop tower 2012 Question

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

gohershey wrote:could it be coaster 2011 drop tower 2012 Question

Something like that is what I was suggesting in my previous post.

Could it be that Hershey will aquire the Maliboomer that is said to be leaving Disney's California Adventure next year? It's themed to a "sledge hammer style" carnival game and it would be a perfect fit for Midway America where they could easily accommodate the relatively small footprint it requires. After all, that ride will probably end up somewhere...why not Hersheypark? The S&S tower at Lake Compounce was bought used, it certainly can be relocated. Maliboomer is my favorite tower ride that I've ridden, by the way.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:38 pm

I never knew that Disney was considering on removing that ride. Would be a great fit for HP. I'm not saying that HP is definitely getting it, but if they aren't leaning towards an Intamin, why not?

coasteral

Post  coasteral on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 pm

WOW It would honor every HP fan to have a ride FROM DISNEY!!!!! If you could put a picture of what it looks like that would be great!!!!!!

coasteral

Post  coasteral on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:55 pm

HP CRAZY!!! ARE you saying that this is NOT a 2011 project. Please say it isnt true. Shocked

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 pm

coasteral wrote:WOW It would honor every HP fan to have a ride FROM DISNEY!!!!! If you could put a picture of what it looks like that would be great!!!!!!

Now, I'm not saying this is what Hersheypark is getting. I'm just guessing like everyone else. Someone said that S&S hasn't sold a new tower ride in a while, so I was reminded of the rumor among Disney fan sites that Disney's California Adventure is removing their tower ride later this year, and it got me thinking that it would be perfect for Hersheypark (it's the kind that shoots you upward fitting the carnival game theme, btw...not that a new owner would be able to keep the exact theming anyway).

Maliboomer is only nine years old. Has Hersheypark ever added a used ride before? Here is the official page for the ride. Click the "slide show" button for more photos. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/maliboomer/
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:44 pm

They still make tower rides:

http://www.s-spower.com/

Can't rule one out, wheither it be Disney's or not.

EDIT:

As of now, looks like Comet is scheduled to be open for HP in the Dark.

http://www.halloweeninhershey.com/hersheypark_in_the_dark/rides.php

As always, this could change once things get moving with this project.
    Coast
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Coast on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Ccron10 wrote:The park does have a height restriction and it seems like they are going to the zoning board to be get permission to build something higher.
    As for the drop tower, S&S hasn't built one of those for years and doubt the park would add a used one even if it's the one from Miracle Strip which probably doesn't top 200 ft. The park isn't going to hire Intamin either after their incident at Kentucky Kingdom for their drop towers. Plus a drop tower doesn't take up a lot of room and wouldn't need to have footer's 1 1/2 years in advance and having them cover the whole Comet Hollow area and hillside nearby.
    Once the township can ok this project, then work would get officially started. It would make no sense closing down Comet to start modifications and then finding out that township sends them back to the drawing board.
    Don't forget that these township meetings are open to the public so if you guys do want to go to them, you're welcome to. Just be respectful while you're there. Wink
    S&S just put in Sasquatch at Great Escape two seasons ago.

I really think that the coaster is for 2011 and they don't need a town meeting for it (or they already had it) and this is for a 2012 drop ride.

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  underslayer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 pm

i belive what coast said . who knows they might of had the coaster meeting last year at this time for all we know. they wouldnt have all this marking and steaks and station layout done yet before they got the approval. i think we arw looking at to totally different projects next year coaster the year after tower. plus anyone going to the meeting i will be there
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Can't wait to hear what will be discussed. Hopefully you'll have some interesting info to share!
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:51 am

This is just getting crazy cyclops . I really really hope its a coaster in 2011 and a drop tower in 2012, that would be increadable. I just wan't to know why we are ruling out Intamin for the possible drop tower. The next gen. drop towers have amazing capacity and are just increadable. S&S towers are fun but I don't think they compare to the Intimin ones. Also unless you have 4 towers like Cedar Point the capacity is terrible.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 am