Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

8.9 Earthquake Hits Northeastern Japan

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

8.9 Earthquake Hits Northeastern Japan

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:32 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
    The BBC has been covering the story nicely.

While the images show massive destruction, I've noticed that many people haven't been panicing or roiting which is good. Over 200 or 300 people have been killed, 500 are missing at this point. Some reports that waves as high as 30 feet washed ashore. Tsunami waves of one or two feet have hit Hawaii, but as far as the westcoast of the US, I haven't heard much yet.
    This may sound disasterous (which it is), but given how much more technology-advanced their country is, they will probably be able to recover faster than what the US could handle.

Tokyo Disneyland has closed and now over 60,000 people in both parks, the parking lot had been flooded and has suffered damage. No word on if anything else on the property has sustained damage.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Re: 8.9 Earthquake Hits Northeastern Japan

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:32 am

Here's an update to the story. It looks like there's a possibility of a nuclear meltdown at one of the nuclear power plants. At this point it doesn't seem like that situation is improving or getting worse.

This looks like a catistrophic natural disaster and I'm hoping my college is going to get some fundraising for this together. I am not the praying type, but I feel that donating some money will do much more in a situation like this.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:43 am

I heard about the nuclear incidents as well. Sounds like it could be alot worse than what Three Mile Island could've been. There were also reports of two volcanos (one in Russia and the other in Indonesia) that erupted around the same time as the earthquake took place.
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm

If one of these reactors has a meltdown, that would be worse than TMI, as it had a partial meltdown.
    This is one of the pictures taken of the tsunami. A whirlpool was created by it.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 pm

A lot of media coverage lately on this tragic event. I pray for the best for the families affected by it and the relief efforts going on now.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 am