Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Looking forward to the update, pushingbuttons! I know my next update won't be until STITP so it's great to see other members starting to contribute more with updates.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

Screamscape:
    (3/23/11) The latest rumor about the Hersheypark 2012 coaster to come in claims that the new creation may be quite long, which will be especially impressive in a park known for it’s small to average length coasters. If this particular rumor is true, the coaster may end up being close to 1.5 miles in length, which would put it near 7920 feet long. (Maybe they should have called it Project XXL instead of Project X.)
    For some comparison, the longest coaster in the world right now is Steel Dragon 2000 at 8133 feet. The longest coaster in the USA is The Beast (ranked 3rd world-wide) which has 7359 feet of track. It sure would be nice to see the Hersheypark 2012 coaster beat either of these records.
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:26 am

Ok I'm not complaining about it but where on Earth did they get that rumor? I've never heard anything of that nature and more that it might be on the small side. If you think about it where would you put a coaster thats 7900ft long in HersheyPark anyway.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 am

It would be sweet to have a coaster of that size this close to home but I do agree with ChiefRedSkin. How would they be able to build something of that length in that area without crossing the street into the golf course?
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 am

Yeah that's a huge stretch! Without the terrain, two lifts, or a mid course launch I can't see that happening! Are you guys completely sure that this won't be going into the golf course area? It'd be really easy to take this coaster over there and since the golf course would require a ton LESS prep work they might not even have much going on it that area yet.

Figuring that flags and marks on pathways usually turn up the summer before opening we're still really early into this process and the end result might be more than just a quick trip around the creek.

HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 am

I thought that the Derry Township zoning board meeting in August confirmed that this will be staying within the current park boundaries and that a tree buffer would be installed along the road. Something else that just came to my mind was that now I also remember that it was mentioned about removing two catering buildings (not three) so perhaps the remaining one is staying and being repurposed. From the looks of the pics (and my few observations on my several recent trips) it doesn't even look like construction will come down that far, plus the redirecting of the water brings it out right before that pavilion.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Doesn't sound very feasible to me...probably another Screamscape rumor.
    I wouldn't complain if it was true, though. Wink
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

I chalk that rumor up to another "Screamscape rumor." The only way I see a 7000 foot long coaster is if Hershey never built the Boardwalk.

From what I have understood over the last few years, golf course expansion all depends on what happens with Hersheypark Arena. It would be cheaper to expand into the arena than it would the golf course, should Hersheypark Arena face the unfortunate fate of having to be torn down.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:30 pm

gb980109 wrote:I chalk that rumor up to another "Screamscape rumor." The only way I see a 7000 foot long coaster is if Hershey never built the Boardwalk.

From what I have understood over the last few years, golf course expansion all depends on what happens with Hersheypark Arena. It would be cheaper to expand into the arena than it would the golf course, should Hersheypark Arena face the unfortunate fate of having to be torn down.
    The Arena is safe and is still being used. I have heard from quite a few people that skating is still going on inside, local colleges and schools rent it out for practice. I've also heard that I think the Radio City Rockettes in New York City rent it out to practice in. In short, while it's mostly closed to the public, stuff still goes on inside the building.

Now getting on to the rumor...
    We're talking about a rumor saying the coaster is supposed to be larger than the Beast at King's Island, which sits on 35 acres. That's around 1/3rd of the park (which sits on around 100 acres, I think) and the area that this ride will be built on is not even 1/10th the size of those 100 acres.
    Unless this ride is going to be extremely compact in a small area, I highly doubt that it a coaster of this length will be built.
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Great if the rumor is true but I doubt it. Could they take it around the arena in some way? Not inside the arena just around out into the parking lot between the arena and stadium.

AdrenalineJunkie
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  AdrenalineJunkie on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 pm

^ Anything is possible, though highly unlikely but possible
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Ccron10 wrote:The Arena is safe and is still being used. I have heard from quite a few people that skating is still going on inside, local colleges and schools rent it out for practice. I've also heard that I think the Radio City Rockettes in New York City rent it out to practice in. In short, while it's mostly closed to the public, stuff still goes on inside the building.
    I know they do public skating in the Arena. LVC uses it for hockey games. The Rockettes do use it for practice. So do the Hershey Bears for practice when the Giant Center is being used.

That doesn't make it safe. The Arena is old obviously. It's not in great shape. At some point, inspections by the state will have to happen to determine whether the building is even safe enough to stand. When that happens, I would expect one of two things to happen. They announce the Arena has to be torn down, or they are going to invest the money into saving the building. I really doubt they'd do the latter because that's prime real estate to expand the park.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:20 am

Screamscape:
    (3/24/11) Screamscape was contacted by another source to say that the 1.5 mile track length rumor is bogus. They did confirm however that the new 2012 coaster would be the longest one in Hersheypark however, which means it will have to top Lightning Racer’s 3393 foot length at the very least. Unless you count both tracks… then it would be 6786 ft.
    This is more logical.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 am

I doubt this will be any longer than Bizarro New England, which is 5,400 feet. If it were to be longer, it would need a mid-course lift hill like the Beast or like some of the Arrow Suspended coasters (i.e., Cedar point's Iron Dragon).
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 am

That post sounds a lot more logical to me.
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Using Google Earth's ruler tool and going from the Tilt-a-whirl, around the creek twice, and back over around the Comet's station is right around 3500 feet long.. which is pretty much what I think we all expect out of its length.

The coasters that I can find that fit everything we are looking at are these-

1. Expedition GeForce - 4002 feet, 173' tall
    2. Goliath (Walibi)- 3982 feet, 153' tall
    3. Griffon/Sheikra- 3100 feet, 205' tall
    4. Goliath (SFOG)- 4480 feet, 200' tall

Pretty much anything of this scale from either Intamin or B&M is WAY longer than 4000'. I'd even say that SFOG's AMAZING Goliath (20M) is even pushing the limits of the space available at 4500' in length.

So who knows.. I'm still thinking Dive Machine. Why is everyone so sure this will be Intamin? If it wasn't for the tight space available for the station I'd say that this is a Dive Machine.. there are only 2 in the US. BGW's Griffon is close.. but SROS, Steel Force, and Nitro are closer.

Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 pm

That "larger-than-Beast" rumor got a chuckle out of me. The Beast is an extraordinary coaster, plus you have to take in the size of the layout, not just the length of the track. Beating that would be an interesting feat to say the least.

Comet Hollow won't look the same with this addition, that's for sure. There's a lot of tracks already running all over the place! Exclamation
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:33 pm

CoasterEricHP wrote:So who knows.. I'm still thinking Dive Machine. Why is everyone so sure this will be Intamin? If it wasn't for the tight space available for the station I'd say that this is a Dive Machine.. there are only 2 in the US. BGW's Griffon is close.. but SROS, Steel Force, and Nitro are closer.
    I think this coaster is going to be an Intamin. All signs point to it being that from what I've heard. Yeah, the RIT stuff seems to indicate other wise, but I think it's intentional on their part. The obvious answer is Intamin, and I think they're trying to make that a bit more confusing. (As a friend of mine would say...go with the obvious, it's probably right.)

I don't know why they would put in a dive machine. What does a dive machine have that Storm Runner and Fahrenheit doesn't? I thought that we should have a dive machine in the park, but with the addition of Fahrenheit, I find it unnecessary at this point. What is a necessary ride at the park? A ride like Nitro. But that doesn't really fit in the footprint of the park, so why not go with a custom Inatmin mega coaster, much like Storm Runner is a custom launch coaster?

njcoast
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  njcoast on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 am

Well I haven't posted in a while but been listening to all these ridiculous rumors so with that being said do the math and this seems to add up to a mega coaster of some sort. Lots of ways to make one if you do your research . The height alone will tell you that and the length if it's going to be the longest in Hershey well then that's what we got here. So cross your fingers it's a B & M need some more variety in Hershey.

ViperGTS500
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  ViperGTS500 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Follower of this topic and love Hersheypark! Since we know its 212 ft or whatever, it seems either a hyper or dive machine. Seems like the clues point to a B&M, which it could be either of the two. I personally think their collection needs a hyper. But since the poster a few above said it would may only be 3500 ft long, seems like it would be a nice dive machine coaster or unless it goes more around the park than the creek. What just popped into my mind is could there be a possibility of a 212 ft Intamin rocket coaster? I know Top Thrill Dragster is 2800 ft long so maybe it would have more than just a top hat (which maybe looks like it would fit right where the coaster would turn around at the end of the creek?
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Storm Runner is an Intamin Rocket with inversions, the first of its kind when built. I think it's safe to say we're looking at a Hyper (with an I-305 design to it) or Dive Machine here.

Welcome to the site by the way!

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

I hope it's B&M if it's a hyper. I can't get enough of Nitro, or even more, Goliath near Atlanta. The trains on those coasters make you feel like you're floating intact. I always ride those with my shoes off, and whenever I go over the airtime hills, I stretch out my legs and arms, as only your thighs are restrained.

If it's Intamin, it would have a confining train. The Intamin lapbars which usually aren't being implemented anymore squeeze your legs, and the kind of OTSR on I-300 are comfortable and don't hurt, but it'll take away from the floating sensation, which is partly why floorless coasters don't feel the way they should for me.
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:04 pm

^ Good point.. it seems like most Intamin coasters now in the states are going with the OTSR's. I want lap bars! Very Happy

A few pages back I think someone had a good argument saying how a Dive Machine wouldn't necessarily be too similar to Fahrenheit.. I think the height, train type, and overall design of Dive Machines would set it apart. I'd love to see a Dive Machine with a more airtime oriented layout.

A B&M Coaster like Goliath, Apollo's Chariot, or Nitro running around the creek though would be aaawwweessooommmeeee!

That is all.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Nitro is a good B&M hyper, but it is sub-par compared with the others because it only has two periods of airtime. I guess it's cause the first hill after the drop is a turn. Instead, it should be more like Goliath, Diamondback, or Behemoth where the turns are low to the ground, allowing for the majority of the hills to be straight. I doubt Ragin' Bull has much airtime, maybe Intimidator 232 has a little more than Nitro because the helix is in a different place.

It would be even better if this coaster was longer than a mile as Screamscape said it could be. If it was that massive, I see it as encircling the pond, crossing Founders Circle, wrapping around the parking lot side of the arena (the monorail track is in the way, so it can't do the park side), then re-entering near the domed arcade before returning to Comet Hollow through Pioneer Frontier. If not, I guess it'll go over the SDL to Minetown and Zoocomerica, then returning closer to the BBQ place near the Trailblazer and near Storm Runner's flying snake dive, descending near the ampitheatre. That would also be cool because the coaster would be increadibly scenic. That's another thing about Nitro; it's unusual in that you go through forest, but it's not the same as seeing plazas and people way down there. I don't mean in this case, but I wonder if B&M will ever make giga coasters. They would have the same trains as hypers, but would using a cable lift be copying Intamin?

Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:05 pm

I'll add my vote, as the recent posts seem to be geared towards people's hopes and preferences for this ride.

Eventhough my favorite steel coasters are Intamin hypers, I want this ride to be a B&M in the worst way. It all comes down to the restraints for me, as has been mentioned in previous threads.

Intamin is no longer building rides with simple lap bar restraints. Everything is overhead. I haven't tried I-305's new restraints, but their old ones totally sucked a lot of the life out of that ride. They were painful and they take away from the intensity and freedom of the ride. I don't mind the older Intamin lap bars. Sure they pin you to the seat, but at least your upper body is free.

I loved Xcelerator at Knott's, and I remember before Storm Runner's announcement (already knowing it was an Intamin rocket coaster) thinking how excited I would be to ride around on a modern Intamin train in my local park. I was actually disappointed to see that Storm Runner had inversions and had Intamin's first trains with overhead bar restraints.

B&M's megacoaster restraints are suberb in every way, and they add so much to the ride experience. I may enjoy the Intamin layouts more, but you can't beat the B&M trains for comfort, freedom, and that wonderful feeling of having seemingly very little holding you in.

I won't be disappointed if this coaster is an Intamin, so long as the restraints are of the new style. I'll be upset if they are of the Storm Runner/Fahrenheit variety.

In other news...

I can't help but think that Hersheypark is getting a kick out of all of this layout speculation. No, this ride will not be 7900 feet long. It's probably not even going to break 5000 feet in length.

No, this ride will not go through any section of the park other than Comet Hollow, other than a return through the side of Founder's Circle. It will be contained in Comet Hollow and the creek/pond area, and if it makes two laps around/over the pond, there is plenty of room for it to reach 4500-5000 feet in length.

I honestly don't want it to be much longer than that. 5000-5500 feet is the perfect length for a hypercoaster.
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Here's what I was referring to earlier. If the layout of the coaster is anything like (I'm assuming) most of us think it will be we're looking at right around 4000 feet. You could bring it back up to the Comet a second time to add a few hundred feet but I think anything much above 4000 feet is pushing it.

That's not TOO far under SFOG Goliath which like you mentioned above the comfort of the trains and the layout is really great and would be an awesome addition to Hershey. I still think it'd be awesome if this coaster would be built to have a huge presence near the entrance of the park like Goliath... a turn around would look pretty sweet over by Chocolate World where the pool used to be!

Does anyone know if B&M is only going with the staggered seating like on Behemoth now or can parks still go with the four across seating? I'm not sure a 212 footer would be as good with the staggered seating arrangement (if the trains are longer)

^ I also rode Xcelerator and would have traded in the inversions on Storm Runner for an OTSR-free ride!
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:15 am

Got to hershey today. When I went, however, the creek was flowing freely and the pumps were off (probably because of the massive rainfall we had the day before).

This is a picture of a rock path they built probably to dig the hole on the opposite side of the creek (now a pond). In-between the two rock piles is a piece of metal under which looks like one of the black pipes.

This is a closer picture of the man made pond on the far side of the creek.

This is a close up of a pump that I am told was used to pump water from the main flow into the hole that was dug (pond).

This is just a picture to show that most of the pipes are still there, but it does look like some have been used (under metal plate?).
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for the update pushingbuttons! It's nice to see someone else contributing to help keep our updates fresh. By the way, can't remember if I asked you but do you think you'll be making it out to STITP at all? If so, maybe you can join us for the site meet-up.

I think CoasterEricHP's rendering is about as close as we're going to get in terms of track layout although there are two things that I would like to point out:

1) Over at Creekside, I'm just not so sure how far down there it will go. Chris pointed out in November that the stakes basically stopped before the pavilions. One was torn down. You have part of it going where the current catering building that remains standing is located. I would very much like to see them demolish that whole area and bring it down to where you have it, although I'm unsure that will be happening.

2) As far as the end of the ride, I'm thinking it will go around the Comet completely, not through it. There's enough room there between the rides in Founder's Circle and Comet (not the area where the first markings showed up, I'm referring to the area behind the Scrambler) for a bunny-hop finale of some sort leading into a break run. So basically I'm thinking that the track will be aligned further to the left of where you have it drawn in.

Other than those two observations, I'm pretty much currently thinking on the same terms as you are as far as layout.

Last edited by HPCrazy on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:31 am

CoasterEricHP wrote:
    Here's what I was referring to earlier. If the layout of the coaster is anything like (I'm assuming) most of us think it will be we're looking at right around 4000 feet. You could bring it back up to the Comet a second time to add a few hundred feet but I think anything much above 4000 feet is pushing it.

I agree that the layout will be something that resembles what you plotted out there. But, your measurements would be based on a ride that has no hills at all, just a level track that navigates that course. Once you add inclines and declines, you add several hundred feet to the coaster's length. Maybe throw in a helix for a few hundred more. If your layout is somewhat accurate, this ride may be close to 5000 ft long.

CoasterEricHP wrote:
    ^ I also rode Xcelerator and would have traded in the inversions on Storm Runner for an OTSR-free ride!

Xcelerator is still my favorite launched coaster. Those Intamin staple restraints still allow for a ton of freedom, which is pretty much why I'll take Millennium Force over I-305 and Dragster over Ka.
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree that the layout will be something that resembles what you plotted out there. But, your measurements would be based on a ride that has no hills at all, just a level track that navigates that course. Once you add inclines and declines, you add several hundred feet to the coaster's length. Maybe throw in a helix for a few hundred more. If your layout is somewhat accurate, this ride may be close to 5000 ft long.

True.. I did forget about that one little fact. So we could be looking at a pretty good length B&M!

I haven't been on Kingda Ka yet but from what I hear I doubt it would come anywhere close to MF or TTD for me either. I don't mind a rough coaster (I love Wildcat and the helix finale of the Beast is the best pain you can ever experience) and I've learned to love Storm Runner but having your head destroyed by OTSR's sucks.

Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I was going to say that the layout would have to run track-by-track in a spot or two, like what you had in your drawing on the far side of the creek. It wouldn't be that logical to have it run in a rectangular/ circular form like Stormrunner, but it would have something resembling an out-and-back in a section or two, but with the creek in the middle.
    Looks good to me so far. Wink
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:06 pm

CoasterEricHP wrote:^ I also rode Xcelerator and would have traded in the inversions on Storm Runner for an OTSR-free ride!

I like your rendering of the potential ride track and I think that's pretty accurate, but I don't think the lift hill will go straight across the creek; I think the lift hill is on the Comet dog leg bank of the creek.

Storm Runner, with or without inversions, never would have had an non-OTSR restraint. Because of the May 1 incident at SF:NE, Intamin had told Hershey that Storm Runner, even if it had the t bar and no inversions, would have been "upgraded" to the OTSR because of the t bar incident at SF:NE. Fortunately since Storm Runner had OTSRs, it didn't effect it at all.

I haven't been on Kingda Ka yet but from what I hear I doubt it would come anywhere close to MF or TTD for me either. I don't mind a rough coaster (I love Wildcat and the helix finale of the Beast is the best pain you can ever experience) and I've learned to love Storm Runner but having your head destroyed by OTSR's sucks.

I've been on Kingda Ka twice, and the OTSR didn't bother me at all. But if you don't like OTSR's then you'd probably like Dragster better since it's a t-bar and you have a greater feeling of "falling out."

EDIT: I merged your last two posts together.

Last edited by Ccron10 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : merged two posts into one.)
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 pm

I actually have a pretty busy calendar with work and school so I will not be able to make it for STITP Sad
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:58 pm

gb980109 wrote:I like your rendering of the potential ride track and I think that's pretty accurate, but I don't think the lift hill will go straight across the creek; I think the lift hill is on the Comet dog leg bank of the creek.

I agree. I can't see the station being back enough towards Comet's entrance to allow the lift to clear Comet and Looper. It seems like it will have to be closer to where Tilt-a-Whirl resides, which would probably imply a turn out of the station and lift parallel to Comet's dog leg. If a cable lift is used, I don't know how that would work, though. Usually the cable is attached to the train while parked in the station. I'm not familiar with El Toro's cable system, how that is able to pick up the train while moving (Vekoma hasn't had the greatest of luck with their GIB designs...lol). I dunno. They'll get it to work, either way.

Magnum PA wrote:
    Intamin is no longer building rides with simple lap bar restraints. Everything is overhead. I haven't tried I-305's new restraints, but their old ones totally sucked a lot of the life out of that ride. They were painful and they take away from the intensity and freedom of the ride.

Mega-Lite, Happy Valley. Opened 2009. (Pic copyright Duane Marden, RCDB)

I agree about I305. They hurt my neck much more than Storm Runner ever has. I'll have to make a trip back to try to the new ones.

To everyone who insists on B&Ms: realize the space at hand and compare it to the space required for a standard B&M Mega storage track shed (or better yet, the new staggered trains, which are as long as 13-row older style mega trains). I can't see that fitting down there.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:31 pm

I wonder if any coaster station can fit next to Comet, considering how close it is to Great Bear's track., especially by the Tilt-a-whirl. As I mentioned several weeks ago, the station will probably be like the one on Millennium Force with separate loading and unloading docks, both on the same side of the track, with the train advancing empty between them. Yes, most of B&M hyper stations are large because of the 9x4 trains (or longer with the new design). It's possible that the maintenance shed will probably be on the other side of Comet near the foot of the lift hill. I'm sure the queuing area will have a large switchback section replacing the Restroom near SDL's entrance.
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 pm

rascalflatts wrote:I wonder if any coaster station can fit next to Comet, considering how close it is to Great Bear's track., especially by the Tilt-a-whirl. As I mentioned several weeks ago, the station will probably be like the one on Millennium Force with separate loading and unloading docks, both on the same side of the track, with the train advancing empty between them. Yes, most of B&M hyper stations are large because of the 9x4 trains (or longer with the new design). It's possible that the maintenance shed will probably be on the other side of Comet near the foot of the lift hill. I'm sure the queuing area will have a large switchback section replacing the Restroom near SDL's entrance.
    If you're talking any coaster - a Fahrenheit station could easily fit in the Tilt-A-Whirl area. If you're talking a single track Storm Runner station (which I think is what we're going to have, except like you suggest, having an unload position and a load position), I think that too could fit. I don't see having the maintenance shed on the other side of Comet because there's not a lot of room there, between the Comet, the creek and the lift of the new coaster.

(The user) The Storm Runner is correct about space issues in the Tilt-a-Whirl area. There's no way a B&M station could fit down there when you include garages for each train. It would simply take up too much space to work. At best it could fit, but then there's no room to build a large enough midway to fit all of the foot traffic.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    rascalflatts wrote:I wonder if any coaster station can fit next to Comet, considering how close it is to Great Bear's track., especially by the Tilt-a-whirl. As I mentioned several weeks ago, the station will probably be like the one on Millennium Force with separate loading and unloading docks, both on the same side of the track, with the train advancing empty between them. Yes, most of B&M hyper stations are large because of the 9x4 trains (or longer with the new design). It's possible that the maintenance shed will probably be on the other side of Comet near the foot of the lift hill. I'm sure the queuing area will have a large switchback section replacing the Restroom near SDL's entrance.
    If you're talking any coaster - a Fahrenheit station could easily fit in the Tilt-A-Whirl area. If you're talking a single track Storm Runner station (which I think is what we're going to have, except like you suggest, having an unload position and a load position), I think that too could fit. I don't see having the maintenance shed on the other side of Comet because there's not a lot of room there, between the Comet, the creek and the lift of the new coaster.

(The user) The Storm Runner is correct about space issues in the Tilt-a-Whirl area. There's no way a B&M station could fit down there when you include garages for each train. It would simply take up too much space to work. At best it could fit, but then there's no room to build a large enough midway to fit all of the foot traffic.

Does that mean this roller coaster will have five-car trains like Storm Runner? I also thought briefly about the ride having separate load/unload positions. It could mean that the riders will need to pay extra to store their stuff in a locker because they can't simply toss loose articles onto the platform and return there. It's why the rule exists at Cedar Point for the Millennium Force and the Top Thrill Dragster. I doubt there is another way to have station storage if the load/unload positions are not the same. Since storm runner has the double-tracked station, do trains ever end up on a different side and then require people to cross over to get their bags? I know Six Flags has the same policy for seven rides at SFGAdv, timed lockers, and it's awful. However, that could be either for the money from the per-use fee, or to get people to notice the advertisements in the queue area since they won't have anything else to occupy themselves.

tedgarb
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  tedgarb on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

rascalflatts wrote: Since storm runner has the double-tracked station, do trains ever end up on a different side and then require people to cross over to get their bags?

No. The train on the left always goes back to the left station, and the train on the right always goes back to the right station.

Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 pm

The Storm Runner wrote:
    To everyone who insists on B&Ms: realize the space at hand and compare it to the space required for a standard B&M Mega storage track shed (or better yet, the new staggered trains, which are as long as 13-row older style mega trains). I can't see that fitting down there.

I'm as curious as the next guy as to how they are going to squeeze any sort of station/transfer/storage area in the current space. None of us knows what there is room for and what there isn't. We don't know how far into the midway the station will go. We don't know what's being removed. For all we know, Tilt-a-whirl, the restrooms, and all the games could be moved.

My concern is that the park will shortchange ride capacity for space once again. I think both Storm Runner and Fahrenheit's stations are too short, resulting in short trains, less trains than what there could have been, and poor capacity. I pray that this will not be the case with this new ride. For once, I would love to see a coaster at Hersheypark with three full-sized trains that pumps people through.

I wouldn't eliminate B&M because of space limitations. They pulled Great Bear off, didn't they? Space was really at a premium up there in Minetown. Look at its transfer tracks/storage bays. They are parallel to the station on opposite sides, and the entire area is not all that wide. If Hersheypark wants shorter trains for a B&M, they can get the 4 across design. You can't picture things as they are now. There will be a lot of changes to that area come this fall.

Good point about the mega-lites having lapbars. They are all newer rides too, the earliest opening in 2008. But in my post I was refering to this country. Keep in mind that the current mega-lites are all overseas, and safety standards are different in other countries.

As much as it sucks, I don't think we'll ever see another Intamin megacoaster in the States with a simple lapbar restraint, due to the Superman incident at SFNE, though oddly enough, Bizarro still has lapbars.

The only two Intamin coasters built since then that would have had lapbars in the past are I-305 and Kingda Ka. I personally don't feel that OTS restraints are necessary on either of those rides. But somebody, somewhere did. If this ride is an Intamin ride, I don't think it will be any different. But, one can hope...

underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  underslayer on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I have seen the station blueprints and it is going where the tilt a work is. The bathroom will be removed and be built somewhere else plus the games will ne gone. Also the whack a mole will be moved

HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi! I'm new to the site, but I've been a fan of HP for at least 22 years. I've been following this discussion for a week or so. It's about time I gather my thoughts and share them.

I'm still hoping for a B&M. The Park needs variety. In my opinion Great Bear is one of the best rides in the Park. It is sturdy and smooth. And while I love Fahrenheit - the structure feels flimsy when you are riding it. Intamins are great coasters, but I enjoy the smoothness of B&M.

As for the amount of space and which company it will be because of space (or lack thereof): Again I'm still going with B&M. Intamin special designed both Fahrenheit and Storm Runner for Hershey. B&M's Great Bear isn't their typical inverted. I believe that they could easily design a unique hyper for Hershey. In fact I would love them to do just that. Apollo's Chariot and Nitro are two of my favorites due to their car design. There is a free feeling that you cannot get with any other seating arrangement.

By the way, the service walkway next to Comet's third turn, behind Scrambler is not big enough for much of anything. It is a service area for one of the main stores in Founder's Circle and also the eateries across from Craftbarn Kitchen. I've used this walkway many times to avoid crowds on the way to the restroom next to Scrambler...the walkway goes from my store's backroom door to a back enterance to the ladies' restroom there.

All in all, I am excited for this attraction and love how they are going about releasing information. It's like going on a ride before there is one even built. Thanks for providing an outlet to discuss this and all other things HersheyPark/theme park. I look forward to a lively dialogue.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm

First off, welcome to the site! Smile

Second, I they could make the final round go through that space, if they design the supports in a unique fashion to not interfere with the area as much (think Great Bear's supports along the creek before the corkscrew, due to being unable to build in the creek). If this can't be done, then perhaps CoasterEricHP may be right with building through the Comet unless there was another way to get around it without messing with its structure.

I agree about Apollo's Chariot. I think that was my favorite hypercoaster I've ever been on and yes, I think the four seats across per row does make a difference and especially with the t-bar design which provides a lot of airtime throughout the ride. Diamondback is a great ride, but the seats are staggered per row since I guess it can put an effect on the experience.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:39 pm

I haven't tried the seating arrangement on the three latest B&M speed coasters. But based on the pictures, it looks like it could be desirable if you want a better view from the centre pair of seats in each car. It also would be better for couples who are riding. Also, since the train is longer, I guess you'd get more airtime in the back. I've experienced Monthey's hypers with the four-abreast trains, and while Nitro's ride could be better, the seats are revolutionary. However, what do you guys mean by you think the older layout is better than the new? I guess the only advantage with the 9x4 kind is that groups of four can sit next to each other.

HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Like I stated earlier I am still hoping for a B&M. What are your thoughts on B&M's Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland? I just watched a front seat pov video on youtube. I need to ride this...it appears that there is a break in the track at every hilltop. I know about Hershey's height restriction, but is something like this one possible? The majority of the track is a simple side by side out and back. The first turn around could fit in down by the former Creekside Catering. The helix and left turn could be down in the Comet Hollow area. Or maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:10 pm

HPfangirl4life wrote:Like I stated earlier I am still hoping for a B&M. What are your thoughts on B&M's Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland? I just watched a front seat pov video on youtube. I need to ride this...it appears that there is a break in the track at every hilltop. I know about Hershey's height restriction, but is something like this one possible? The majority of the track is a simple side by side out and back. The first turn around could fit in down by the former Creekside Catering. The helix and left turn could be down in the Comet Hollow area. Or maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

If this ride was up and down the creek parallel to Comet's dog leg, if 2012 was identical to Behemoth, it would stretch all the way to Chocolate World. Imagine the visual intrusion on the charming and old-fashioned Tudor Square. It would make such a bad impression when you enter the park.
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Magnum PA wrote:I'm as curious as the next guy as to how they are going to squeeze any sort of station/transfer/storage area in the current space. None of us knows what there is room for and what there isn't. We don't know how far into the midway the station will go. We don't know what's being removed. For all we know, Tilt-a-whirl, the restrooms, and all the games could be moved.
    The Tilt-a-Whirl, the restrooms and the games are all getting moved for the new ride. I do know how much space there is down there.

Magnum PA wrote:My concern is that the park will shortchange ride capacity for space once again. I think both Storm Runner and Fahrenheit's stations are too short, resulting in short trains, less trains than what there could have been, and poor capacity. I pray that this will not be the case with this new ride. For once, I would love to see a coaster at Hersheypark with three full-sized trains that pumps people through.
    Fahrenheit is a cookie cutter ride. The park wasn't shortchanging capacity for space - that was Intamin's fault for designing the coaster in such fashion. As for Storm Runner, where did they shortchange capacity? Runner trains have more seats than Dragster and Kingda Ka trains. The only way you could have more seats on Storm Runner is having more trains, like Kingda Ka having 4 or Dragster's 3. But there's no room for that and it's really not necessary to have 3 Runner trains when it's only a 180 foot top hat.

Magnum PA wrote:I wouldn't eliminate B&M because of space limitations. They pulled Great Bear off, didn't they? Space was really at a premium up there in Minetown. Look at its transfer tracks/storage bays. They are parallel to the station on opposite sides, and the entire area is not all that wide. If Hersheypark wants shorter trains for a B&M, they can get the 4 across design. You can't picture things as they are now. There will be a lot of changes to that area come this fall.
    Minetown had plenty of space; enough to build what is still the biggest steel coaster station in the park. Yes, it's a lynch pin turn around the station, but that was easy part. The way harder part was the Creek. That was premium land down there. They ate up half of the Comet Hollow midway and the old miniature golf course. Minetown simply had more room than you think.

As I've said, I don't see a B&M station fitting down there. The space just isn't there. With Intamin, they have their storage in back of the station - Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit's station could easily fit in that area, no problem.

rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:07 pm

I doubt that this new coaster will have three trains. Hershey doesn't need the capacity that Six Flags Great Adventure or Cedar Point require. If there are three trains, there will need to be a mid-course trim brake section. If this is a hyper, it will probably have at least 32 seats per train. The B&M hypers have 36, and for Intamin, Bizarro (Mass.) originally had 36 but the refurbishment cost both seats from the tenth row. Superman in Maryland and Intimidator 305 have 32. Therefore, it will have at minimum the capacity of Great Bear. I don't get why Intamin chose to have 12-seaters on Fahrenheit, maybe it has to do with the steeper-than-vertical drop, because Maverick at CP has the same trains. It's all about physics; Storm Runner and all of the hydraulic launchers have no more than 20 (I think) to a train because the trains cannot handle as much weight when climbing the vertical towers. Meanwhile, hypercoasters (hilly ones in particular) need to have heavy trains so the first drop gives enough momentum to make it over the following hills.
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm pulling this next one out of the far reaches of my behind-

This might work if the lift is along the creek on the Comets dogleg. It would be tight because of Great Bear's supports but you could have a switch track that sends the trains over to a new maintenance bay over by SDL's. Expedition Everest uses a similar idea..

I also think the queue needs to take up some of SDL's extended queue... not really a reason for that anymore.. sadly..

Finally the station could be long enough for a separate load/unload area which could boost this thing up to three trains.

Like most of you.. the whole space issues boggles my mind and worries me a little. How do you get the track back over that way without building a nastily tall station and putting the brake run on TOP of the Comet? Craziness..
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Your first sentence got a good sized chuckle out of me. Smile

It is definitely going to be craziness. The space in Comet Hollow is already limited, on the ground as well as vertically. The queue should take up some of SDL's unused queue, which is about 80% when you think of it. Don't think it will happen, but it would give a decent amount of space for building room, and more room for us to think about.
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:04 am

Magnum PA wrote:
    The only two Intamin coasters built since then that would have had lapbars in the past are I-305 and Kingda Ka. I personally don't feel that OTS restraints are necessary on either of those rides. But somebody, somewhere did. If this ride is an Intamin ride, I don't think it will be any different. But, one can hope...

I do agree with you that Kingda Ka may not need OTSR, but I-305 does. With the high speed turns at almost 90 degrees a person who barely reaches the height restriction (or god forbid a person who doesn't) has a high chance of falling out.

rascalflatts wrote: It's all about physics; Storm Runner and all of the hydraulic launchers have no more than 20 (I think) to a train because the trains cannot handle as much weight when climbing the vertical towers.

FALSE. One of the main reason for the "shorter" trains is because the longer they are the more they weigh empty. Long empty trains create a very large amount of drag, thus not making it over the hill. This is the reason Kingda Ka and TTD are missing their back seats.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 am