Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Coney Island to Receive 4 New Rides-

Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Coney Island to Receive 4 New Rides-

Post  Fanatic on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:55 am

Coney Island, in Brooklyn, New York is getting an exciting makeover! They are opening a new park, alongside Luna Park, called Scream Zone. With it comes the addition of 4 new rides, including 2 coasters.
    --http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/21/us-travel-coneyisland-rollercoasters-idUSTRE73K4DY20110421--

The two coasters are Steeplechase and Soarin' Eagle. The following link has images of the coasters.
    (Just click next on the top of the image box)
    --http://brooklyn.about.com/od/Coney-Island/ss/Coney-Island-Gets-Two-New-Roller-Coasters.htm--

Video from the NY Post showing Scream Zone and the rides. There are a lot of interviews in the video, but if you skip them, there are some great images and video of the rides, as well as information. The thumbnail shows one of the interviews, which get more frequent mid-video.

They both seem to be compact coasters, with about 50 inch height restrictions for each. Soarin' Eagle has you ride horizontal and has a vertical spiral to it, and Steeplechase, according to the article, goes 0-40 mph in two seconds. Steeplechase is based on the original ride at Coney Island, from many years back. They are a little more than family coasters, with some added thrills for the more daring of us. Wink
    These are the first new coasters in the park since the opening of the classic Cyclone coaster, in 1927.

From what I see, Soarin' Eagle is perhaps the same type of compact coaster as Super Flight at Rye Playland. Here's a link to a video of Super Flight: http://www.youtube.com/v/eNydh3mZv68

One of the other rides is the Slingshot, a bungee-cord launch type of ride. It's visible in the video, too.

Scream Zone opens the coasters today (Saturday), so I'm sure there will be more info on them soon. I probably won't check it out for myself just yet, but possibly soon. Pictures if I do go Smile

New park theme area, new rides, new coasters! Great to see the park coming back to life! bounce

Last edited by Fanatic on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Coney Island to Receive 4 New Rides-

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:19 pm

The Soarin' Eagle was moved from Six Flags Elitch Gardens and from what I gather, they might be trying to make the cars more comfortable.
    I'd really would like to try to go to Coney Island eventually, but only with someone who has gone here before since I've heard that the area has a reputation to it.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Thought I recognized that coaster. Yeah, the former flying coaster from Elitch Gardens. I'm not a fan of Coney Island myself but the Cyclone looks okay. I think it's way too overrated. There are better coasters out there that should deserve more credit, IMO.
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:46 am

I have never been to Coney Island but I have a friend who moved to Manhattan last year and says Coney Island isn't that bad of a place. He wouldn't swim in the ocean there but it's a decent boardwalk. There are typical New York "hood" type people there. He says basically if you don't mess with anyone they won't mess with you. Everyone is there to have a good time. He wants my wife and I to go up this summer. I am hoping to but don't know if we will have the money. It's a free place to stay but he lives in Manhattan and it's about a 30 minute drive with tolls. He don't own a car anymore so I would have to drive. We could always take the subway but that's even longer and we would have to change trains or something. I'm not big into subways or public transit so we would be driving. Money is the bigger issue considering there will be a beach trip to Wildwood or OCMD at some point and the UFC is coming to Philly so me and a buddy are going down there for that weekend. I will get up to Coney island soon but it looks like it will have to wait until next year.

HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:06 pm

I visited Luna Park last summer. It was pretty decent since they were starting from scratch. They have some pretty interesting flats. The one I really wanted to ride went out of order while I was waiting. I could have stayed and tried to ride, but the ETA on getting it running again was way too long. Luna Park has a cool reloadable card for their ride/game/merchandise credits. It was a slight pain to get the broken down ride credits reloaded, but everyone was really friendly.

I'm on their mailing list so when I saw Scream Zone was being installed and the rides it was receiving I was super excited.

I try to go to NYC every summer (it's my second favorite place on Earth, after HP). The best way to get around is via the subway system. The D, F, N or Q takes you to a station like 2 blocks away from the park. The N and Q can be picked up right in Times Square. The ride is about 1 hour to 1.5 hours long, but it is worth every penny when you consider that you do not have to drive through NYC traffic. That thought alone makes me shudder. If you live in the Central Penn. area and want to take a trip to Luna Park there is a bus company out of Kutztown that has extremely cheap round trip prices and a weekday schedule that is so flexible you think they are running the bus just for you. It's the only way I travel to NYC.

Also...if you have never been on the Cyclone...ride it once. It's historic after all. But be sure to buy the "I Survived the Coney Island Cyclone" tee. There has never been a more true statement. That is the roughest wooden coaster I've ever been on.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Every neighborhood has some sort of reputation to it. 90% aren't bad reputations, either. I can assure you that Coney Island isn't a dangerous place to be. Smile You have to go to see it for yourself. It's a great place to go on some rides, have some good food, and hang out at the beach.

Luna Park is no Six Flags, of course. It doesn't have mainstream rides, etc. But you have to look past the institutional side of it and see the history. From what I have seen, they are trying to bring contractors and investors in to help Coney Island get back to what it was. They are planning on building some hotels and adding more rides in the next few years.
    Coney Island is loaded with history. It was great in it's heyday. The Cyclone is probably the most significant ride in the park. It's historic, and that's what gets people hyped up about it. Comparing it to mega coasters of today, of course it would be overrated. But to be corny, it's like a blast from the past. The Cyclone is like a sign of the times - it shows how far the amusement park industry has come today. The Cyclone isn't the best coaster in the world, but ride it once - it's a pretty awesome ride. Wink

Take a visit to Coney Island sometime, just to say you went there. It's great if you go for the full experience, and not just the amusement park aspect. I love it there, especially the boardwalk and Nathans!
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Here's an update on the rides:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/nyregion/coney-island-gets-scream-zone-with-4-new-thrill-rides.html

(Contains better images and descriptions of the additions / rides)

The Steeplechase

The Soarin' Eagle

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:39 pm