Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark: Rides of the Past

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: Rides of the Past

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 am

Hey guys,
    There has been a lot of inactivity on the forums recently and I feel that it's time to put some more interest back into them. One idea is to maybe pay attention to the rides that the park used to have and to dive deep into their history and details. I don't know how frequent I'll post each update relating to each ride, but it should be a fun and nostalgic experience.

If you have any old photos that you would be willing to contribute, put send me a message. All credit will be given.

Name: Sky Ride
    Stations: Rhineland and Minetown (Tower Plaza)
    Max. Height: 114ft (above Comet Hollow) Could possibly be the 2nd tallest freestanding skyride in thr world.
    # of Towers: 3
    Cars: 30 (15 with Rhineland Theming, 15 with Minetown Theming)
    Cable Grips: Made by Giovanola
    Controls: Westinghouse NumaLogic controls
    Motor: Volkswagen industrial engine
    Tension Station: Rhineland
    Motor Station: Minetown
    Manufacturer: Intamin
    Storage: Minetown
    Length: 1268ft (1/4 mile)
    Approx Ride Time: 2-3 minutes (one way).
    Reason for removal: Impossible to evacuate in an emergency.

Remains:
    >Rhineland
    -In the one year gap between Rhineland's opening and the Sky Ride's opening, it is unknown what was at it's location.
    -Rhineland Station becomes the Central Pa's Kosher Mart and prayers are held in the actual station every once and awhile.
    -Exit stairs still exist
    -Exit signs
    -Station lights
    -Sloping floor for the cars entering the station.

>Minetown
    -The Minetown station exists until Fall 1996 as Tower Terrace Catering Area when it was removed for Great Bear. Nothing is left of this station.

When Sky Ride closed in 1992, the entrance stairs, queue, TVs, and catwalk were removed. Photo from the hpslappy collection.

Located near the Coal Cracker, the Minetown station had a similar theme to blend in. From the hpslappy collection.

The Sky Ride gave lofty views of Carrousel Circle, Comet Hollow, and Minetown reaching it's maximum height of 114 ft at it's second tower. From the hpslappy collection.

In this photo you can see a teaser sign in the center of the picture and the Minetown Sky Ride station shortly before it was demolished. From the hpslappy collection.

Similarly to Merriot's Great America, Hersheypark was one of the very few parks that had two ski-lift type rides. The Skyview still exists today. Photo by lilmx5guy.

In this photo you can really compare the heights of Comet's 2nd turnaround and the height of Sky Ride's 2nd tower (114ft).

In this photo, you can see the artwork that the Rhineland station used to have. It was re-painted and given a new roof in 2008.

Here is the Rhineland station with a new paint job in 2008.

Photo taken by Hersheypark.

The exit stairs. Photo taken by Hersheypark.

The Rhineland station platform today. Photo taken by Hersheypark.

The Rhineland station platform looking out on what was it's course. Photo taken by Hersheypark.

The story on the Sky Ride didn't end in the scrap heap after it was removed. After doing some researching, it was then found to have popped up again in Thailand at Dream World Park under the name Cable Car. The cars and towers were repainted, more equipment were added to the towers, and a new control panel may have been added.
    Here is a POV of the ride at it's new location (view it from 4:43).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHxv0fIXi9o

That's it for this removed ride. If more details or photos are found about any of these rides, they will be updated and announced. Join us for the next ride: Canyon River Rapids.

QueerRudie
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Re: Hersheypark: Rides of the Past

Post  QueerRudie on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:02 am

I remember (VAGUELY!) the SkyRide during one of my first trips to the park in the very early 90s- and always thought how great it would have been to have that nowadays- granted, we DID get Great Bear ouf of the deal, so it's a lose one, get something bigger out of the other...
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:34 am

I love this idea Chris. One thing though, some of those photos were actually donated to me for use at the old Tripod site (the ones from the 80's). Nick from HPSlappy approached me and asked if he could use them in which I gave him permission. Actually the one pic I took in 2008 right before they applied the new paint to it.

Other than those few things, great job! Wink
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:30 pm

This is something that really sparked my interest in Hershey and Hersheypark.
    There's loads of history here, and I really enjoy the memories from old photos and information. It's great to have a way to share it all.

This really is a great thread idea. I know there were a few scattered topics on old rides in the past, but this will make it more organized and accessible.

Only suggestion I have is that this thread could possibly be a 'sticky', especially with everything it can include.
    Smile

vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey CCron10

this is going to be a great thread. i am not to great at computers and especially at getting photos on threads. i just put some more photos on my vintage hershey park album on facebook. I really hope maybey you could post them on the thread as you see fit. I ve dated all of them the best I could.
    thanks

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150203452587504.295878.521082503&l=4c02e64c48&type=1
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Here are vw87tech's photos for anyone who doesn't go over to Facebook:

Comet Hollow in the 1970's. This is a great reference as they begin to remodel the area to fit in Skyrush.

The Trailblazer area in the 1970's. Note the empty fields that now house Midway America and the Boardwalk.

Some more 1970's aerials.

Showing off both the Skyview and Sky Ride.

The Chocolate Factory in the late 70's. Doesn't look too much different than it does now.

Does anyone remember when the old Dept Store looked like this?

An old billboard ad from 1983.

Candylane from around 1985/86. Thanks for providing this pic as it brings back great memories from my visit to CCL in 1989 and riding this train in this exact same spot!

More 1985/86 Candylane.

Giant Wheel from 1992/93

Date unknown

1992/93 aerial shot. After looking at the image, I'm thinking 1993 since the Sky Ride is no longer on there.

Earthmovers 1992/93

Canyon River Rapids 1992/93

Western Chute-Out 1992/93

Chocolate World area 1992/93

Chocolate World 1998

Again, many thanks goes out to vw87tech for providing us with these photos! Smile
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 pm

so glad you were able to get some of the photos up. thanks
    that aerial view photo is dated by the photo devoloper place as june 1992. is it possible the skyride it just out of view. i will let everyone know when i get some more scans up.

this photo is nearly the same view taken 13 or 14 years earlier and skyride should be there too
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150286566887504&set=a.10150203452587504.295878.521082503&type=1&theater

QueerRudie
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  QueerRudie on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:46 am

Those are some outstanding shots, all of them- it's great to see the park during it's development into what it is today- especially the 'white' sdL and Trailblazer. Even with all the open fields now developed, it's hard to belive how much HP has grown in the past 20 years (Since SideWinder, for example) into what it is today- and I'm really digging this trip down Memory lane.

At one point, I had nearly 300 pictures of HP in 1991- of just about everything in the park (My first 'credit whoring trip there!) but sadly a fire wiped out everything I had in 2003; but these pics do bring back so many fond memories of that era- and of HP.

May can't come fast enough for me!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 am