Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Mitch Hawker's Wood and Steel Poll

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Mitch Hawker's Wood and Steel Poll

Post  Ccron10 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 pm

http://www.ushsho.com/woodrollercoasterpollresults2011.shtml
    The wood poll ballots are in and El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure takes the #1 Spot!

Also notable, Phoenix comes in at 5th place this year and Waldameer's Ravine Flyer II places at 6th.
    Congrats to these parks for their great coasters!

Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Re: Mitch Hawker's Wood and Steel Poll

Post  Park Connoisseur on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

It's neat to see how rides match up to others, but that poll doesn't hold a lot of water for me. It has it's flaws.

1) There are too many foreign coasters at the top of the poll. That's not to say that there aren't great wooden coasters outside of the U.S., but the poll is very much skewed to the rides that don't see a lot of voting riders every year.

2) The poll requires voters to rank every roller coaster they've ridden from 1-whatever, or rank them in groups - both of which are really impossible to do. I've ridden a lot of roller coasters, and it's hard for me to create even a top ten. Additionally, not everyone votes the same way.

3) People have different preferences and tastes. What makes a top 10 ride for me is not the same for everyone else.

4) The poll is very heavily influenced by TPR, let's face it. They advertise the heck out of it, and all of their minnions vote - many voting the same way. There are also a lot of Alvey brown-nosers that would follow him off of a cliff, let alone like the same rides, simply because he's ridden so many.

For example, if you're one of the 45 that voted for Twister at Grona Lund, you probably went on the TPR trip there and were influenced by general group's opinion. I find it very hard to believe that it is "really" the 14th best wooden coaster in the world.

I understand that this poll tries to account for all of these variables. While I respect the effort, you ultimately can't escape partiality. And when it comes to roller coasters, there are a lot of biases.

I guess my problem isn't so much with having the poll, it's that a lot of people accept it as gospel.

Instead of one large poll, I would much rather see what individuals would rate as their top 10 rides.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:07 pm

In the end, there really is no accurate way to find out how coasters rank overall because there will be bias.
    I do have to say that Hawkers Poll feels more reliable than say the Golden Ticket, which seems more biased.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:39 pm