Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark 2010 Adition Discussion (NEW SHOWS)

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark 2010 Adition Discussion (NEW SHOWS)

Post  Ccron10 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:55 pm

7/31/09) According to the latest rumors the previous 2010 expansion plans are now said to have been dropped or delayed by at least a year in an effort to recover a bit from the sour economy.
    According to Screamscape, things aren't looking to great for next season. So far is seems like the Coastline expansion might not happen. Personally I don't think it costs much to add a new slide or two to an existing slide tower (probably $1 to 2 million tops). While I talked to someone in the park a while ago about how the economy would affect the Seaquel, he said the attraction was paid for and the only problem would be the scenery and how much could be bought. he also said he didn't really expect anything spectacular for next year.
    Whatever they want to do next year they must be working on it right now and laying it out (the date on Fahrenheit's blueprints said June 2007). I guess they had to toss the plans into the trash and start over.
    My guess is nothing or some small improvements to a flat ride or two. That's it.
    krosscoasters
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Re: Hersheypark 2010 Adition Discussion (NEW SHOWS)

Post  krosscoasters on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:02 pm

I personally think the Boardwalk was a mistake, or at least where it's located. The park could of finagled a way to put it on the old golf course (depending on whether they own that land or not) or perhaps even on the land they have Hershey Sweet Lights on. Midway America is very congested with it, and I know the park needed a water park, but they could've done better with it.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:08 pm

I agree with what you said. This could have well have been put elsewhere and Midway could've expanded more. It still could have been the Boardwalk, but I wonder if CRR would have been saved if your idea would have been put on the table.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:12 pm

The Boardwalk could have waited in my opinion. Where they put it, although it was logical since there was so much land there - doesn't seem too bright of a place for having a waterpark. Now, it's like the Boardwalk is surrounded by the rest of the park, so there is really no room to expand. That is, without removing something.

If they didn't put it where the field was, they could have used that space to put another coaster or two or maybe some flats and really expand Midway.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:30 pm

I thikn the company wanted to put the waterpark there. If you think about it, building a completely new park would cost much more than $20 million, seperate it from the park which would mean the park would need to add a new ride, and also the time building one.

As far as flats goes, a Zamperla Disk-o would be great. I rode Kennywood's and it seemed to be prety thrilling and also good for the family at the same time.
    An S&S Power Swingshot would awesome as well, but they are tall and take up much room (and loud as well).
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:27 pm

I think what they should add is something like Avator at Kings Island. That ride looks pretty cool and I may check it out when I go next week.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh that spinning disk thingy? That would be nice. It's really a kid to adult ride. Larger lengthwise so it would probably be off a path in terms of placement. That would be a cool ride.

Has anyone confirmed a drop tower?
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Like I had mentioned before, it could be placed where Creekside Catering is currently located. Remove Creekside and add another catering area on the second floor of the old skyride station. There you go. Wink
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 am

It's perfect for across the creek. That space of land is long, not wide - and the ride wouldn't take up as much space.

coasteral
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  coasteral on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Im excited to see what they bring out for 2010. It probably wont be anything big because they spent MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars in the past few years!!!!! Its crazy!!!!!!!!! Now we just need somthing small.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:19 pm

That's what most of us are guessing - something small and economical. WOuldn't be surprised if it's just one flat or two.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

That's what I've been thinking. Either a flat or two, or maybe a new waterslide. I hope they at least get something though.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:03 am

What kind of flats would we expect and where? I doubt they will go across the creek this year, so the flats would be placed somewhere among the themed areas...
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:08 pm

I'd love to see the Midway Tent be removed. There could be at least two or three flats there. Also, there's a space next to the Whip for a flat.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I'd love to see the Midway Tent be removed. There could be at least two or three flats there. Also, there's a space next to the Whip for a flat.
    I don't see that happening unless the Picnic at the Park program isn't successful. Also isn't it home to that inflatible jumping thing called Tiger's Tail?
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:51 pm

They haven't had the Tiger's Tail or Crazy Climber since at least in 2006, plus they stopped setting them up in the arcade for Candylane around that time as well.

Are they having "Picnic in the Park" this year? I know they are having that "Picnic Party" catering program, but I haven't heard anything about Picnic in the Park this year.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:44 am

Removing the tent would open up some space, and it seems to be one of the only ways to add more flats without removing others.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:55 am

I think there are alot of people who agree about the removal of the tent. IMO, it just seems pointless sitting there. The few programs that they do offer in there can be moved elsewhere.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:58 am

Right, like to other indoor places or even catering areas. Plus, I don't see it being used most of the time I am at the park.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Now that Kennywood announced their new launched coaster, I wonder if that would have any affect on what Hershey gets? Would you say that they are competitors even though they are halfway across the state?
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:40 pm

I'd say Dorney and Hershey are more competitors, than with Kennywood. The two are alot closer.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 pm

^ I agree. Dorney and HP are more of competitiors than Kennywood and HP, but - you never know. Hersheypark might want to have all the top rides in the state, no matter how far away a par is.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:47 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Dorney was originally supposed to get a ProSlide Tornado around the same time Hershey added the Boardwalk. Since Hershey was adding a Tornado with the Boardwalk, Dorney dropped their plans. This is what I remember hearing, just can't remember the source.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 am

If that is true, it seems like Dorney is recognizing HP's expansion. Maybe they'll have something big planned in the future.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm

I think Dorney is in desperate need of both a Tornado and Bowl slides. We can discuss more about that in the Dorney Park area.

Back on topic, Some new slides would be great for the Boardwalk. Maybe a new slide or two to Coastline Plunge. I'm sure they could squeeze another slide tower in somewhere. I doubt that a new tower is in the works for 2010 but you can't rule out them adding onto Coastline Plunge.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Are those supports still there in the slide complex for the Boardwalk? I bet they might be for this year... That seems like the simplest way to expand instead of taking a break for a year.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:34 am

Yes, those supports, footers and brackets have always been there since the Boardwalk first opened. My guess is they wanted to get ahead of themselves for the future? I highly doubt they'll just leave them there.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:09 am

I doubt they'll be left there, too. They must have put them there for something, and we're just waiting for what the something is.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:41 pm

I guess we'll find out sooner or later what we may see in that immediate area in the near future.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 am

Any official word on a drop tower yet? Or if FF is really going to be removed? If they do put a drop tower in for 2010, I doubt they will also put slides in as well, or vice versa.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Right now its best to wait and see. The Flying Falcon rumor has been around for the past 3 to 4 years and after an almost $1 million+ rehab back in 2006, we thought it would be kept. Appearently, the ride seems to be off and on the break-down list this summer and my guess is that if it is a pain to mantain or isn't cost-effective, it will probably get removed.
    If they do, then they could add that rumored drop tower, but depending on the height, it might interfere with the skyline. Thinking about it now, a good carnival "spin and puke" ride would fit nicely on that platform. It would save money because groundwork wouldn't be a problem, it could sit on the platform easily, the queue would still be used and the only downside is that it wouldn't stick with the theme.

To me I say keep it because I'd rather see area theme upgrades instead of removing one ride to replace another and not get anywhere with increasing their ride list. The park has been doing a great job with this such as Founder's Circle, Pioneer Frontier, and the Boardwalk. Midway could use some improvement since nothing has been added since Lightning Racer.

Hershey usually announces their next year projects anytime between August and October.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:05 pm

If I can remember correctly, the Claw, Flyers and Mini Scrambler upgrades weren't announced until early 2003. Maybe this has changed when they go about adding smaller additions or upgrading areas.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 pm

^^ They should really theme-up Minetown. It needs some more in order to attract more guests and give a better feel. To me, it seems like the area that feels the least like its name.

A round-up type ride would fit nice, like you said with using the groundwork and queue. Maybe the drop tower would go there, although I wouldn't think so.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I doubt we'd see a drop tower (or anything too tall) there. Like what Ccron10 said, it would distract from the skyline. If the Falcon were to leave (which I pray it doesn't) then I'd like to see a smaller flat go there.

But let's just say that's not our top location to see the next new flat be installed.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Unless the drop tower is smaller than FF, because FF fit good there, even though it is tall. But a flat would probably do it. Smile
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 pm

They don't make Round-Ups anymore and looking at the park's history, Hershey never bought a used ride; they always went with new ones. To come close to knowing what the park is getting, you have to look at their history.
    Before someone says Howler is a used ride, It's not. I think Wisdom is still in business.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 am

I remember when they announced that they were getting Howler, alot of people originally thought that it was from Idlewild. After looking at Idlewild's site, they still have their model, exactly like Hershey's. So I'm guessing that Wisdom makes their Tornado ride with the "Howler" package onto it.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:18 am

It's strange because I saw a Howler ride, actually a few Howler rides, at fairs and carnivals every year. I looked all over them for any indication of Wisdom, but it was some other strange company... Shocked
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 pm

We usually get the carnival ride model here at the York Fair every year. It's usually called the Tornado.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Yes, that's what it's called here. We also have a permanent one in a park nearby, but the last time I was there was years ago, and I didn't bother to check the company name...
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:28 pm

I highly doubt that another company would make such a ride other than Wisdom.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:58 pm

So do I, and that's why I was trying so hard to see where the name would be. Unless it was just branded with a company name that stores or uses it, I don't know.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Howler is new, its manufacturing is in the begining of 2008.

Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:02 pm

I knew it was new because I saw on Idlewild's site that they still have theirs, even though it looks just like Hershey's. Was a great move by Hershey, IMO. Now they need some more good flats.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 am

It was a great move by Hershey.

^^ That's why I think some other company makes a similar model - the ones I'm talking about have been around for years, not just since 2008.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Maybe they have been making the "Howler" models for some time now, just Hershey got a new one last year. I don't know how long Idlewild had their version. The portable Tornado ride has been coming here to the York Fair since since at least the early 2000's.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:17 am

^ That's about the time frame I've been seeing the one near me, and it's the portable version.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Getting away from the Howler topic, what does everyone else think the park may do in 2010, besides maybe getting a flat or an additional waterslide? General park improvements? New eating places? The park could use another good sit-down restaurant. Both Cedar Point and Kings Island have plenty of them, Hershey only has the Tudor Grill outside the gates. They really need to add something inside the gates so people don't have to get their hand stamped to go out there.

Myself
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  Myself on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Idlewild added their Howler in 2004. Theirs and Hershey's are the only two "Howler" variants of the regular ride as far as I know.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:54 pm

^^ HP could probably see a waterslide in the near future, and we would have to wait to see if they remove anything (like the tent) or expand somewhere in order to put more flats in.

Maybe they can use the space where the old skyride station was for a picnic area, but not restaurant. Or maybe they can convert some of the food buildings into a asit down restaurant.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:25 am