Son of Beast status511

Son of Beast status

HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Son of Beast status

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:50 pm

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

I'm sure alot of you already saw this and this article goes along with what I've spotted at the park yesterday. Most of SOB's signage has been cleared, plus I couldn't spot the trains anywhere either. This is interesting considering how talk has been going around over at KIExtreme and KICentral about the ride possibly being closed for good.

Your thoughts and imput are welcome.

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Son of Beast status

Post  Ccron10 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:23 pm

This is probabily is going to be epic on how it's going to be brought down! I don't think a 200ft+ coaster has ever been taken down before. It would be cool if they used dynamite. Smile

Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:27 am

^ That would be cool! But dynamite isn't usually used for wooden structures like that... I would expect a long removal by crane or wrecking ball.

I would not like to see SOB removed. Why would they want to remove something with so many records, unless they are making it into something bigger and better. We still have Beast, but SOB can stay.

Maybe they're just removing all of those signs for some re-working of theme or something...I don't really know. Question

HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 pm

I was reading at KICentral and alot of people seem to think that Cedar Fair is tired of putting money into the thing after it's been modified once and still the same results have happened. I don't blame them at all if they have given up on this coaster. Another thing that Screamscape reported that the park was selling SOB merchandise at huge discounts at one of the stores at the front of the park. While I didn't go that particular store, I didn't get to see anything. I would think that if they have plans on re-opening it that all the signage would still be up and not just the wood box that held the ride logo, even if they planned on keeping the ride closed for the remainder of the season and plan to re-open it come next season.

As for the future of that site, my guess would be that we could see a better coaster go in there in which they wouldn't have to pour so much money into trying to fix problems that keep developing. IMO, I think the park could really use a B&M invert (Raptor was so much fun and since Kings Island is a Cedar Fair park and Diamondback really was a success for the park, they should put one over there to compliment the Action Zone area).

Again, I think that SOB has seen its last riders, unfortunately.

Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Well, if I go to KI I guess I won't be able to say that I rode SOB Neutral Oh well.

With you mentioning the discounts and other things going on, it sounds like the ride is closed for good. forget what I said in my previous post, then because my guess is towards them removing the coaster and putting a better one in.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 pm