[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark: The Former Rhineland Sky Ride Station

Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: The Former Rhineland Sky Ride Station

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:48 pm

In 1974, the Sky Ride cable car ride was built and transported guests from Rhineland to the back of the park near the Coal Cracker. At a height of 114 feet tall at the highest point, the Sky Ride traveled the park for 18 years until it was removed in 1992.
    For awhile, I have been researching this ride and found that there were a couple of missing pieces of information:
    -What happened to the Sky Ride? There were rumors going around that it was shipped to another park across the ocean, but was it?
    -What's left inside the Rhineland station?

After recently contacting Hersheypark and piecing some info together, I finally got this missing info.
    -The Sky Ride now operates at Dream World Amusement Park in Thailand under the name of Cable Car.

As for the next question, Gary at Hersheypark kindly went out into the park and snapped these photos of the building:

As you can see, the new paint-job has made the building look brighter. From the exterior, you can still see that the floor slopes a little. This was to allow a catwalk to be added and for the buckets to easily enter the station.

Even though the entrance stairs have been removed, the exit stairs are still in place and show marks from when the ride operated. The path lamp and yellow paint on the stair-edges show it.

Welcome to the loft. This view is looking towards the ride exit (as you can tell by the numerous old exit signs). The concrete floor looks darker around the edges and to the far-left, it starts to form an arc. This shows where the machinery used to be. if you look closely by the dorrway, you can see footprints indicating which way to exit.

This is a view looking out towards the Carrousel and to where the buckets would've entered and exited the station. The patched-up concrete is where the cable would've headed down to the first floor which added tension to the cable.

Today, the second floor is used as a storage area for the park. Even though the building's paint scheme and Minetown station is gone, there are still many things that were left behid to show that there was a ride here.

Special thanks to Hersheypark for providing these photos.

Here's a link to the lod Hersheypark Crazy topic:http://z8.invisionfree.com/Hersheypark_Crazy/index.php?showtopic=9

Last edited by Ccron10 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
    krosscoasters
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Re: Hersheypark: The Former Rhineland Sky Ride Station

Post  krosscoasters on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:47 pm

It's a bit creepy, don't you think? I mean that part of the building is just abandoned, with a few marks on the floor indicating the footsteps that once led riders to the exit (along with the numerous exit signs Laughing) and even more marks indicating where machinery once ran the ride.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:10 pm

What amazes me is how much effort and money they used to make the structure look brand new again. Even the entire second floor was repainted (the walls and railings). Then they put a brand new roof on it this year. I wish they would utilize the second floor as a catering area, which could replace Creekside. If that would happen, then they could add a few flats and such over where Creekside currently is.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes, I remember discussing putting flats across the creek when they remove creekside catering - and this is really the best spot to put it. It's definitely private since your above the crowds, and you can watch HP go by.
    hpinsane
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  hpinsane on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Fanatic wrote:Yes, I remember discussing putting flats across the creek when they remove creekside catering - and this is really the best spot to put it. It's definitely private since your above the crowds, and you can watch HP go by.
    I've heard rumors that a roller coaster station might go down at Creekside catering. It could be a tall buiding - a la the Great Bear station which is two stories - which would help if the creek floods.

That's a flood plain there, so I really don't see too many flats going down there. They're too likely to get damaged if/when it happens.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:34 pm

The creek does not flood too much lately. They have some sort of system where they dam it up when it rains a lot, so the park is not flooded

Post  hpinsane on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Stormwinder wrote:The creek does not flood too much lately. They have some sort of system where they dam it up when it rains a lot, so the park is not flooded
    Oh I know they have dam system to prevent flooding, but that doesn't prevent flash floods that happen once or twice a decade.

When the park flooded in 2004, the whole Creekside catering area was under four or five feet of water.

They could put one or two more rides in Comet Hollow, but they chose not to because of the risk of flooding. You never know when the next Hurricane Ivan might roll through.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:42 am

That's a logical reason for any park not to expand an area. Comet Hollow certainly can hold a few more rides, but with the risk of a flood it isn't worth it. That's why the expansion across the creek we were all talking about falls into the place at a risk of a flood.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:43 pm

I was doing some research and came across these current photos of Hershey's old Sky Ride at Dreamworld park in Thailand. Other than the different paintjob, the ride looks pretty much like it did at Hershey:

On-ride footage:

Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:21 pm

It doesn't look like anything different was done to the ride. Looks like it's getting some good use.
    And the video link is broken / posted wrong. Neutral
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:20 am

Great find. I think the only noticable changes I can see are that the front tower in the first pic has a giant ladder going up it as well as some instruments on the other towers. Other than that, not much has changed. It's good to see that the ride got a second life. I wonder if Intamin still makes parts for it?
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:11 am

If Dreamworld is still able to obtain parts for it, then why the heck did Hershey remove it in the first place? It was the only true transportation ride that they had.
    hpinsane

Post  hpinsane on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

From what I heard when I worked at the park, it was a maintenance cost the park couldn't afford to have. Besides, it would have certainly left the park to make room for Great Bear in 1998.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:38 am

I did some more snooping around and found an up-close photo of one of the gondolas inside the station.

I did some more searching and found another photo:

Given the length of the section that's outside the station I'm going to completely confirm, without a doubt, that it is Hersheypark's Sky Ride.

HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 am

Awesome! Where did you find these?
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 am

I found them on some travel website.
    I just clicked on a photo of Hanging Coaster (one of their coasters) and on the same page were those photos.

EDIT: I'm also going to say that the photos above might be the station that used to be in Minetown given that the storage area is behind the ride. Given the entrance stairs for the old Rhineland station are towards the back of the building, a transfer area wouldn't have fit.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

All the mechanics look like they're in good shape as well. I like the application that they used the ride for. Looks like they put it in a scenic area, which is nice. Smile
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 am

I found POV:

Watch the video from 4:43 to the end.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:33 pm

From looking at the video, did they happen to make the ride round-trip only? Or I'm wondering of they just let you stay on if you'd like. It would be disappointing if the ride was made into a "round-trip only" attraction but at least it survived the scrap yard by having a second life. I really wish this would come back to HP, enjoyed the video.

By the way, Kings Dominion had a ride exactly like this (towers and cabins looked the same, I rode it during my first visit in 1990). They managed to hold onto theirs a little while longer, until after the 1995 season but that was because of Paramount's doing. If Cedar Fair would've came in instead of Paramount, there may have been a good chance still that the ride may have stuck around longer (since CGA and CP have the Von-Roll models still operating). I don't know what became of KD's version after its removal.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Great find! Smile

It looks like it may be a round trip only ride, imo. It has great views of the area around it, although there doesn't seem to be much to the park itself. The ride also seems to be in good operating condition, too.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:12 pm

The guy said that he chose to return to the original station because he didn't feel like walking so far. Listen to the audio.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Must've overheard him mentioning that since I was too busy checking out the ride itself.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Where does he say that? I watched it again and didn't pick up on that.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Fanatic wrote:Where does he say that? I watched it again and didn't pick up on that.
    When they were turning the corner to return to their orignial station.
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Alright now I heard him. I obviously wasn't paying much attention to the audio then. Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 pm