[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Hersheypark Christmas Candylane

Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark Christmas Candylane

Post  Stormwinder on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:17 pm

This topic will be the discussion of Hersheyparks Christmas event. For over 25 years Hersheypark's Christmas Candylane has been getting many into the Holiday sprit with over 1 million lights, Santa Claus, and the reindeer.

A change this year, admission will be $1 more.
    Regular (ages 3+) Single-Day $10.95

Coaster Master Level

Re: Hersheypark Christmas Candylane

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Perhaps, this is because they may be opening more rides or adding more lights? Hopefully it will be a good thing.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Its probably more than likely new lights because the Ride List doesn't look any different from last year.
    Lets also keep in mind that around this time full inspections are taking place and if they want to have the rides finished for Springtime, they must work hard. They had trouble last year with Fahrenheit and Storm Runner not being ready.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:49 am

Yes, but they don't run roller coasters for this event because of the weather conditions. I never could understand why Howler wasn't open (unless it either had to do with SEA-qual construction or something else). I know that last year, the HP in the Dark list wasn't updated until October because we knew that Fahrenheit and Howler were most likely going to be open and they were. I'd really love to see more lights and displays in the coming years. In the past years, they seemed to strip some of the lights off the Tudor entrance buildings (especially on the entrance gate facing CW) as well as a few of the trees and reduced the amount of them. Perhaps they'll switch entirely to LED lights (since they did it for Convoy, as well as the Twister over at DW). I would think that would save them some money.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:30 pm

I received a brochure (two-sided) several weeks ago for Christmas in Hershey and it mentioned something about a new light show this year. I don't know if this has an affect on the price change or not. Their website doesn't make any mention of it. Perhaps after HP in the Dark, we'll see something.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Wow, I had that same pamphlet for over a month now and never noticed that. That is probily why admission has been raised a dollar. Last year Dutch Wonderland raised their admission for Dutch WinterWonderland a dollar because they got a new light show. It was really good. I hope Hershey keeps the Kissmas Tree in addition to the light show.

Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Light Show? I'm highly gussing it's something like the Kissmas Tree show... just not of a tree. If so, then the only logical places for this are out near Fahrenheit or that path leading from Minetown down to Comet Hollow (my best bet since that area is very cool quiet at dark).
    One of my school clubs does a trip to this on a Thursday night and being since it's a day that school is the following day, the park is completely empty and there are usually more emplyees than guests (I think there had to be at most 50 people in the park on my last trip).
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 pm

I remember you mentioning about the park being virtually empty the last two years you went. It was pretty much the same way for Alex and I last year when we went the first Sunday.

If this light show is to be complex, then probably the most logical place would be by Fahrenheit and Howler (like you mentioned). Maybe if that's the case, they'll open Howler this year (I know it's not listed right now but you never know). I would hope the Kissmas Tree is staying as well. Would provide much more free entertainment included with your admission.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 pm

All Dutch Wonderland had was a couple of decorations that lit up and some trees with lights on them synchronized to Christmas music. It was pretty impressive. Have you ever noticed that Hershey likes to try things out at Dutch Wonderland before they put it at their park?

Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Yeah but I think the Kissmas Tree was tried at Hershey first. I don't ever remember Dutch Wonderland having such a thing until now, unless their show put the Kissmas Tree to shame that now Hershey wants to develop something similar.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:34 am

I do have to agree that the tree could use a little work. I've actually seen some houses do a better job syncing their lights to the music than the Kissmas Tree. For the park, the lights gradually dim off instead of flash off.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Also saw that parking is raised to $7.00 for Candylane this year. I'm guessing it will be the same for HP in the Dark as well. Perhaps the SEAqual is causing the slight increase in the seasonal event parking price as well as for Candylane this year.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:26 am

We now have a name for the new light show. N.O.E.L.: Nights Of Extraordinary Lights

Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Very clever name! Hershey came with a good name.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:40 pm

I feel like I'm missing this because the page over at Hersheypark doesn't have this up. Whatever it is, I hope it's better synced than the Kissmas tree.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Today is the first day of November and you know what that means! Time to break out that Christmas tree of the to of the Kissing Tower, lighting displays, and dusty CDs of Christmas music.

Who's going this year? I plan on visiting on Thursday December 4th.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:33 pm

The NOEL Light show will be in Comet Hollow, along Spring Creek. Shows will start at 5:00 and continue every half hour and hour. The show will feature lights dancing to holiday music

Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 pm

N.O.E.L. – Nights of Extraordinary Lights!
    New this year, experience N.O.E.L., a breathtaking light show featuring over 125,000 dancing lights synchronized to your favorite toe-tapping, jingle-rocking Christmas music! N.O.E.L. will dazzle your senses with brilliant holiday colors and a classic selection of festive songs. Enjoy three dynamic shows starting at 5:00 PM and playing every hour and half-hour along Spring Creek in Comet Hollow. The best viewing areas for N.O.E.L. are the bridges located near the SooperdooperLooper, the Amphitheatre, and the top entrance to the Aquatheatre.
    From the way it sounds, they may either open that path along the creek or just put the lights on the hillside on this path. The idea kind of sounds like that Frontier Trail lights show that Cedar Point introduced recently.

All I have to say is that they better feature some Tran-Siberian or Manheim Steamroller... Cool
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 pm

I hope they still have the Kissmas tree. There is a picture of it on the site, but nothing talking about it.

Who's going this year? I plan on visiting on Thursday December 4th.

I plan on going, I think once every weekend unless the weather is bad.

Last edited by Stormwinder on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 pm

I'm back, sorry I've been away so long. It's been crazy around here. The new layout looks supurb and very festive!

But anyways, me, Alex and my parents will all be there this Saturday (the 14th) and this time, it WILL happen! If anyone plans to be there that day, please let me know (especially to you Stormwinder since it didn't work out the last time, just shoot me a PM if interested.).

We'll be there approximately around 4:30 going into Chocolate World with arrival into the park around 5, just in time for the lights to really show off their beauty. I hope to see the N.O.E.L. light show and get some snapshots and video footage of it as well. I just hope this doesn't can the KISSMAS Tree, maybe there's still hope since the pic of it is still on their website.

Hope to see some of you there! Smile
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 pm

I kind of swung by the park again on the way home from Elizabethtown to see what they have done so far for Christmas. I kind of call this a preview update/ trip report.

I want to first start off my saying that rush-hour traffic in Hershey sucks. Period. Coming into Hershey from Route 743 didn't seem too bad, but it is really good that I wasn't going in the opposite direction. From E-town all the way there was just a constant line of traffic. After turning onto Route 322 it got worse especially in front of the hospital and Lodge. Between the stop and go traffic and rude drivers pulling out in front of you, someone should do something about this.
    Ahead of time, I'd like to let you know that the Kissing Tower Chrismas Tree is not up yet, but travelling down Hersheypark Drive, Sweet Lights is all set up with the lights on. Farther down the road, the park was dark (except for the Boardwalk floodlights) and at this point, I stopped at Wendy's for dinner (FYI: don't go in at the first road leading to the outlets from 743. I accidentally went in through the exit. Neutral )
    After dinner, I traveled up 743. Christmas lights are starting to pop up inside the park. The lights next to Storm Runner's station fro the Railroad are up, Minetown has some lighting displays up including an Antique car sitting decked out in decorations along the Turnpike.

This is probably my last trip to Hershey..... for another 2 or 3 weeks and I do have to say it kind of does get kind of tiring. So far this is about my 6th or 7th trip to or through Hershey. The only part I hate about it is the traffic.

Like I said before, one of my school clubs usually goes to the park the first Thursday of December and since my club is discussing this sometime this week, I'll post the date. I do plan on taking my camera and not the one I took last year (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check that Trip Report and you'll see why). The photos I want to take will try to be artsy and also for the club so don't expect many park shots.

The Christmas Season is here folks! santa rendeer
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:51 pm

I remember that PTR. Alot of your pics came out rather blurry, unfortunately. I wonder if some coaster trains will be in the stations like last year.

As far as lights along the train, what did you see? I know the Santa sitting in the car along the turnpike was there last year. I hope that mini ferris wheel and merry-go-round are also there this year. Overall, I hope to see more lights this year with the price being raised a dollar (as well as parking).

The new season of CCL sounds good. Can't wait for this Saturday!
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm just glad that the lights are beginning to pop up this early. Seems like they went right to it.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Maybe that's promising. Perhaps they're getting more lights throughout the park (a plus especially if they're switching the majority to LED lights this year).

By the way, if I happen to see any coaster trains in the stations, I'll be sure to do my best to snap pics of them for my PTR.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Something else I just thought. I wonder if this N.O.E.L light show will allow you to walk through it. Or would this be just viewed from across the creek and on the bridges? Would be cool if you could walk through it like what Ccron10 mentioned about CP's Starlight Experience. I saw some of the lights strung when I was up there in August. Unfortunately, we left early so we could rest up for KI the next day, so I never saw the show.

Also, saw the first Christmas in Hershey billboard yesterday while traveling to work. It was along I-83 heading north (on the left side) between the Strinestown and Emigsville exits. It was promoting Hershey Sweetlights.
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 pm

If you could not walk through it, you would have to watch it on the bridges. If not, you would be looking through the Great Bear.

tatertot3710
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  tatertot3710 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:58 pm

They were cleaning out the reindeer area and had lights strung inside on the 25th. I actually saw a billboard for CCL a wee ago.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 pm

I have two possible dates for my club trip to Christmas Candylane. Tuesday December 15th and Friday December 4th. Right now the 15th seems more likely and I am guessing crowds will be probably just like on a Thrusday with more employees than park visitors.

Yay for "ERT"! cheers
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:34 pm

As long as it's a weekday, you should be fine. Weekends however around this time are different. The only time where weekdays can be mobbed is between Christmas and New Years.

This whole weekend coming up should be the same. I'm supposed to go this Saturday but if it rains, we'll be going Sunday. I'm expecting low attendance both days. Wink
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 pm

They now have a "Photo Gallery" button on the main homepage to the Christmas in Hershey website. It has alot of promotional photos that you usually see in rack brochures and such.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Just checked the mobile site and all rides that are scheduled to be open are open and doing fine. This is good news for me since it is cooler tonight then what is supposed to be for tomorrow night. So ride availabilty shouldn't be a problem tomorrow or Sunday I would think.

**EDIT** - Just saw that the park also posted a N.O.E.L. light show video to the website. Looks to be an awesome experience! The Kissmas Tree also appears to be set up along the creek near that food stand and lower amphitheatre entrance/exit and is sychronized as part of the show! Go there and see for yourself.

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:42 pm

I've visited Hershey many times during the summer, but I've never visited at Christmas time. I may this year, during the week after Christmas, but I have a couple of questions. I'm sure Santa leaves after Christmas, but are the reindeer there between Christmas and New Year's? Also, what is the traffic like getting into Sweetlights? Are there major delays, or can you drive right in fairly quickly? Thanks for any advice.
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:20 pm

gardener14 wrote:I've visited Hershey many times during the summer, but I've never visited at Christmas time. I may this year, during the week after Christmas, but I have a couple of questions. I'm sure Santa leaves after Christmas, but are the reindeer there between Christmas and New Year's? Also, what is the traffic like getting into Sweetlights? Are there major delays, or can you drive right in fairly quickly? Thanks for any advice.
    The reindeer I believe will be there after Christmas and as for traffic, try to avoid rush hour traffic in and around the park (especially on 322). Other than that, to pay for Sweetlights it probably is set up like a toll booth.

By the way, welcome to the forums!

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks for the response. I was actually wondering about traffic getting into the toll gates for Sweetlights, not so much around Hershey. Is there usually a long wait to pay admission into Sweetlights? We have a very similar drive-through light display here in Massachusetts, and the wait to get in the gate is often an hour or two on weekends. The line of cars is usually three lanes wide and stretches for a couple of miles. Is that typical of Hershey's Sweetlights entrance gate?
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:54 pm

gardener14 wrote:Thanks for the response. I was actually wondering about traffic getting into the toll gates for Sweetlights, not so much around Hershey. Is there usually a long wait to pay admission into Sweetlights? We have a very similar drive-through light display here in Massachusetts, and the wait to get in the gate is often an hour or two on weekends. The line of cars is usually three lanes wide and stretches for a couple of miles. Is that typical of Hershey's Sweetlights entrance gate?
    I don't think it will be that bad; only a few cars long (5 to 10 minutes at the max.).
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 am

I found some N.O.E.L. videos posted on Youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vi5zvaldm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuwSJW4Kxlw&feature=related

From the view of the shot, it looks like it was videotaped on the bridge next no Great Bear's Immelmann. I guess this means the best place to capture the whole performance is on the Monorail bridge.
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:39 am

We never timed it right to watch it from up there. We saw it twice from the bridge by Great Bear's immelmann (leading up to the Kissmas Tree) and once down by sooperdooperLooper. The view from the bridge by the Kissmas Tree wasn't bad either. I think the looper bridge is probably the place I would least recommend watching the show.

woozybear
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  woozybear on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
    gardener14 wrote:Thanks for the response. I was actually wondering about traffic getting into the toll gates for Sweetlights, not so much around Hershey. Is there usually a long wait to pay admission into Sweetlights? We have a very similar drive-through light display here in Massachusetts, and the wait to get in the gate is often an hour or two on weekends. The line of cars is usually three lanes wide and stretches for a couple of miles. Is that typical of Hershey's Sweetlights entrance gate?
    I don't think it will be that bad; only a few cars long (5 to 10 minutes at the max.).

I went with my family a couple of years ago and the wait wasn't too bad. Like Ccron10 said, 5-10 minutes max. I'm not sure if that has changed since I last visited, but I wouldn't think it is much longer than that.

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:13 pm

^Thank you woozybear...that's very helpful and reassuring to know.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:24 pm